Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Ds is 5, around 42.5 inches, and in a (ff) Britax Marathon that will expire in January (a few months later than I originally thought - cool).

He is (as of quite recently) on the highest shoulder strap setting and the top... maybe 1.5 or 2 inches of his head extend beyond the top of the seat shell if he's sitting straight up.

Is there some head-height / shell-height based guideline on forward facing seats for when a child is too tall? Is it purely shoulder straps?

The marathon says the maximum height is 49 inches, although I don't see how he'll be able to fit in nearly that long as his shoulders will be too high way before he's that tall, and by then I'm sure much of his head would extend beyond the seat and just be... out there. (And it will expire before then anyway).

Thanks!

· Registered
3,638 Posts
A forward-facing seat is outgrown when the child's shoulders are above the top strap slots (make sure to measure the actual slots in the seat, not the poofy cover) or the ears are above the hard plastic shell.

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I think the slots are a bit lower (maybe 1/4 inch?) than the cover, but they are close.

Either way, I think ds will outgrow the seat when he's 43 or *maybe* 44 inches tall. How come the seat says it goes to 49 inches? Ds does not have a particularly long torso... where do those extra 5 inches go? How tall were your kids when they outgrew a marathon?

· Registered
3,638 Posts
My child was less than a quarter-inch away from outgrowing it when I replaced it. She was 42.5" at the time. A Marathon will not fit most kids to 49", or to 65# (or down to 5# either). Those numbers are the outside limits at which the seat was tested. They are not a realistic estimate of what size kids can actually use the seat. (Britax is, IMO/IME, one of the most egregious in this respect, but almost all seats are outgrown by height before weight, and before the limits in the manual.)

· Registered
3,221 Posts
My son outgrew his Marathon at 5.75 years old (about when he started K), and I think he was about 44ish inches and 45ish lb at the time. Since then, he has been in a Graco high back Turbobooster with the seat belt (he is now 7).

My daughter on the other hand, is 4 and was just turned around FF a couple of months ago, and is still on the second from the top slot FF with plenty of room (she is like 38 inches and 29 lb). I think the seat will expire before she outgrows it (expires in 2 more years when she is 6.5), so she will probably go to a high back booster then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.