Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to have latch issues on just one side? DS is 4 days old, and my milk is coming in. When he latches on to the right side, it hurts like heck and it makes a... popping feeling? Almost like it's being flicked.<br><br>
Is this latch related? How can I tell? If it is, what can I do? I'm also worried about thrush as we both had antibiotics in hospital.<br><br>
TIA!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I get that "popping" feeling once in a while too. I can usually fix it by taking him off and latching him on again with the nipple more centered in his mouth. It only happens on 1 side for me too...and doesn't feel good! HTH

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Yes, you can have latch problems on 1 side only. I would get some 1 on 1 help if you can. Someone else can see things you can't. La Leche League meeting or the hospital LC or an IBCLC in private practice.<br><br>
Thrush - get some good quality probiotics 'sporogenes' (my spelling is probably off, it moves to the intestines without being damaged from what I understand) should be in it. I like ordering from Vitacost.com it's relatively inexpensive.<br><br>
I have personally given my nb enzymes and probiotics without reservation, not everyone is going to feel this way. Garden of Life has a children's powder for age 1. A child with a weakened immune system should not be given probiotics according to the labeling. I've opened my own capsules, put a bit on my finger and then to their mouth -- but again that is me and you need to do what you feel is good for your baby. The baby should benefit from probiotics in your milk.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I had my doula over yesteday for our breastfeeding follow up and she suggested several things to help my latch, but it doesn't seem to be improving. Now I've got small red blisters on my nipples and they hurt like heck.<br><br>
Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm trying to make sure I tuck his body in, sim for the top of his mouth etc, but it seems like it only works about half the time.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
My dd got a bad latch going after 3 weeks with me on bedrest after a vaginal birth that ripped me up... TMI sorry.<br>
I had a blister on the left side the side that she was a bit lazy to latch well on.<br><br>
It took many months and it also was very evident it I had slacked on my job to keep her at just the right place even 1X during the day or night. It was awful, but it did resolve after time.<br><br>
Give it time, give it your all, every session, every latch, every time. PITB I know, but it is the only way I know to resolve other than to quit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts