Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds is 4, and when I think abt him being gone everyday for most of the day, it feels horrible. I realize I have been counting down the months until I lose him to public school. I've been doing this for a longtime. Now I would never do anything to hold him back from his desires and dreams, but it just seems that our children are so young when they start school, and that is a long time to be away from your family, everyday. Like, the whole set-up of public school goes against my instincts as a mother. Now, no one I know has ever expressed that they are sad their child will be starting school. I feel like I may just being a way overprotective mom. I am not opposed to him doing stuff without me, it just seems like that many hours every single day is just too much for a young child. KWIM? Just wanted to ask the homeschoolers if this was a factor in their decision. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamapajama
Just wanted to ask the homeschoolers if this was a factor in their decision. Thanks!
I wish I had had someone to ask this question of, way back when.
I felt the same way you did when my first was about to start school. I easily could have written that post...

...except that, I didn't know hsing was an option. I knew no hsers irl, and this was pre-internet (for us, anyway.) So, I did what I "had" to do, and enrolled ds in school.

I hated it. He hated it. Nothing positive came from the experience AT ALL. It was just wrong for us.

Our decision to homeschool came a few years later, but I felt entirely the way you describe.

·
Registered
394 Posts
....My husband has been for it from the start but I was more hesitant until one day last spring when my four year old noticed all the kids getting on the bus for school and looked at me all distressed saying "But where are their mommies?" It broke my heart. I realized how I didn't want to turn this precious sweet boy who still thinks his mommy should be everywhere he is into the ruthless world of public school while he is still so tender and innocent. Now I'm all on board with the idea of homeschooling and excited though I will still take it a year at a time. I am excited to have my babies for awhile longer and I think your feelings are very natural.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
yes, and it's not just the hours that they are gone at school. There is the homework (which here starts in K), stupid long term group projects, wake up time which determines bedtime which can lead to power struggles, etc. I feel like it would take over our lives.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
definitely part of the reason why we decided to keep them at home.

Which is kinda funny cause I often hear people say "oh well it won't be long until they are all in school full-time." I don't know how many times I've been told that. Mostly after they find out I'm not working. Taking care of my family is more than enough right now

I mean, they do have their moments and it's hard work to be a sahm and not be able to send them off somewhere for several hrs a day but it's really important to me and sooo worth it. I know I would miss them terribly if it were an all day every day type of thing. Wouldn't work well with our life or my parenting style.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Yes, this was one of our reasons to homeschool.
I could not imagine sending my son off in a year's time.
He will be 4 on August 3.

Thats not the only reason we dont want to send him, the main reason why we want to homeschool is because it just feels "right" for our family. My husband is from Australia and he thinks the schools over here are well, crazy!
:
And I went to public school here in the US, and I did not do well. I left when I was in 11th grade and finished at the local community college. I dont know if my son would do great or poorly in public, but I dont want to risk it.. maybe down the track we will look into other options if our son wants to.. But, I dont see public as really an option.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Linda on the move
yes, and it's not just the hours that they are gone at school. There is the homework (which here starts in K), stupid long term group projects, wake up time which determines bedtime which can lead to power struggles, etc. I feel like it would take over our lives.
(bolding mine)

Exactly.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Me too! I've never admitted it to anyone, because I thought they would think I'm crazy, but that's a big reason for homeschooling - not the only, but a big one. She has her time in various activities with other kids, adults, etc. without me, but in the end she loves to be with me and her Daddy. I love it!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi,

I was a elementary school teacher before ds. Even before ds was born I told my Dh that I wanted to homeschool. I had 20 kids in my room and some parent support. My last parent-teacher conference was successful but I figured out one thing that the parents still knew their kids better than I did. I spent 8 hours a day with them and couldn't pay enough attention to each student to help each student reach their full potenial. I had students who were very very smart to students who were reading on a 2nd grade level. ( I taught 6th grade.) I was so far to meet everyones needs. I feel like I can do so much better for ds. I want to create a learning enviroment that fits ds learning style and intrest.

Jay

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
for sure one of my concerns, ps or private - it takes away from family time on so many levels... i could go on and on, but this is one aspect about our educational system that bugs me.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
i haven't read the other replies....

yes. this is one of many reasons we chose to hs.

hs seems to us to be an extension of aping.

it seemed scary and wrong to send my dc off to a class where all of the other dc had been institutionalized since 6 wks old. very abnormal socialization,where 4yo already start to form cliques, like one would usually see in 3rd-4th grade.

and now, k will be an all day thing. poor little dc.....

mp

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
That was a huge factor in our decision. In fact, if there had been a great part time private school, I would probably have enrolled him. It was not just a matter of me missing him (as my inlaws like to imply) but that I feel like 30 hours a week is just too long for my 5yo to be separated from his family. It just felt completely wrong.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamapajama
My ds is 4, and when I think abt him being gone everyday for most of the day, it feels horrible. I realize I have been counting down the months until I lose him to public school. I've been doing this for a longtime. Now I would never do anything to hold him back from his desires and dreams, but it just seems that our children are so young when they start school, and that is a long time to be away from your family, everyday. Like, the whole set-up of public school goes against my instincts as a mother. Now, no one I know has ever expressed that they are sad their child will be starting school. I feel like I may just being a way overprotective mom. I am not opposed to him doing stuff without me, it just seems like that many hours every single day is just too much for a young child. KWIM? Just wanted to ask the homeschoolers if this was a factor in their decision. Thanks!
HECK, YES.

We had our daughter so that we could be parents. We had her so that we could spend time in her company. It makes me feel terribly depressed when I hear parents say things like, "Oh, I can't wait for school so I can have some time to myself." No insult intended to anyone here, but I think to myself, "Well, then why in heck did you have children, then, if you wanted free time to yourself?"

I also wonder about the degree to which this early separation causes an essential fracturing of the family, a reduction of the family's influence and values, and an overall homogenization of this society. We can be all nice and alike that way without all those icky differences in thought. It's much easier to control sheep when they all go the same direction, KWIM?

Frankly, I think it's a fine reason to homeschool. Why not?

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by doriansmummy
My husband is from Australia and he thinks the schools over here are well, crazy!
:
Hmph. I'm from Arizona and I think the schools over here are, well, crazy too.

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
Oh yea, wanting to actually be with my kids during most of the day, most of the week, for most of the year was a very definite part of the motivation.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
We just decided to hs again after one year of public school, and I truly feel our family has our life together back. It was a big loss.

Maybe parents and children really do belong together most of the time when they are little.... Maybe the family is the basic and ultimately natural "unit" for learning to be with others--for socialization... Maybe we are not supposed to raise our children in bulk quantities

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Linda on the move
School DOES take over lives. The focus is always around or based on "school". I was a lot more stressed, my children were a lot more stressed and well my one and only ps'd child was almost unbearably stressed, all due to "school". Life revolved around the school schedual, what is happening at school, when is school out/in session, not being late for school, not being late to be home for the school bus, HOMEWORK, and the list goes on.

Now, life is relaxed. There is no ticking clock pestering us to be up, be home, no "homework" to take my child/ren away from our family anymore, and again the list can go on and on.

I think that any loving reason for homeschooling is a valid reason.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Yes totally one of the many reasons we have decided to hs. I just couldn't imagine shipping my kids off early in the morning, them coming home later in the day bogged down with mindless homework 5 days a week.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Absolutely! For our family, homeschooling is just as much as a lifestyle decision as it is an educational decision.

We chose to have children so we could love, nurture and raise them. I think it would be a bigger challenge to do those things if my kids were in school.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Yes. My oldest would otherwise be starting Kindergarten in less than 4 weeks. The thought of him being gone from 7 to 3ish really freaks me and my dh out. He'd have to be at the bus-stop about 6:45 to 7am. Then, the bus doesn't come back until after 3. Even if I had a guarantee that he would deal with it well, I would still be a nervous wreck because I would miss him. It's just so sudden, from being here all day to being away for most of the waking day...at merely 5!

And then I know from my sister's kids that, as Linda noted, that school would continue after school. There is homework for K, required reading, a zillion sign-up sheets, fund-raising (by kids!), suggested "spirit nights" at crappy fast food places. School wouldn't end when he got home. And then I'd have to ask the school's permission to spend a weekday with him or to take him on vacation. If it exceeded 5 days, they'd frown on that. If it exceeded 10 days, I'd get a letter about "No Child Left Behind".

I honestly cannot imagine it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts