Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dd (11 months) has been pretty uninterested in solids so far. She'll nibble at a banana, suck on a slice of apple, that's about it. This morning we gave her a slice of avocado, and she ate some and smashed up the rest. We've given her avocado before, and she's largely played with it--smeared it on her face and tummy, mashed it up, etc.<br><br>
Anyway, after breakfast I noticed that she had a bunch of red patches on her chin, some of which looked like they had slightly paler, tiny bumps in the middle. There were also a few of those on her torso. They were completely gone maybe half an hour or so later.<br><br>
Now, dd has fairly sensitive skin, and sometimes she just gets these red, patchy spots that go away quickly. But we're wondering if she was having a reaction to the avocado. Are people actually allergic to avocado? Would she have a reaction when she's been exposed to it several times before?<br><br>
If anyone has experience with this, I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
It doesn't sound like a typical, immediate allergic response to me. In theory, you can be allergic to anything, but avacado isn't high on the allergenic list. You might try just smearing a little on the skin of the inside of her arm and see if it provokes any kind of a reaction.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yes, you can be allergic to avocado, and it's in the same group as latex (along with mango, and I think kiwi) which is pretty common or growing. I know one child personally who is allergic to all of those, and I've read of others at places like <a href="http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/" target="_blank">Kids With Food Allergies</a>. My daughter Caroline has multiple food allergies.<br><br>
Your description sounds like hives my daughter has had. I'd do the arm test the pp suggested, and if nothing happened, I'd still watch for reactions after offering it to eat, making sure not to introduce anything else new during the same time period.<br><br>
Good luck! I'm about to embark on introducing solid food to my baby, and I'm quite hesitant, after having gone through what we did with my second daughter!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts