Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so here's what I did. I bought dd some Powerpuff girls undies and told her that after she peed in the pot for a whole day, she could wear them. After about the first 4-5 times she peed I gave her 2 or 3 M &Ms then quit. Now at day 2, she is just going into the bathroom by herself, going then yelling to me afterward. She even peed in the toilet at the grocery store last night (I did ask her if she needed to go on that one.)

She is 26 months.

Was this too easy? Is it the calm before the storm.

thistle

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
ds2 learned really quickly at 19 mo! And he's still reliable. I think with some kids it really is that easy. You may still have an occasional accident here and there, but I say enjoy the success. You're clearly in tune with her, she was ready, both physically and emotionally, and she didn't feel pushed or rushed. Hooray for you two!

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I wouldn't say too easy, but I also wouldn't say you're in the clear yet. My dd was about 95% from day one with pee. She initally wouldn't pee in the potty, went through a phase where she did, and is now 50-50 with poop. She's still 95% with pee, and it's 2 months later. She has days with no accidents at all, and days where she pees on the floor 4 times. I would say it's a process, LOL.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
This was years ago, but my DD potty "learned" on her own at 18 months. I sat the potty out just so she could play with it and get used to it and she just started going in it and never looked back! (No candy tricks niether! *LOL*)

The only bad thing is she "set me up" for when her brother came along a couple of years later and was "average".

·
Registered
95 Posts
I say it sounds right - if she was ready, she was ready.

just be prepared for accidents and set backs along the way.

my dd trained similarly (without the m&m's) at 27 months. She still wears a night diaper. She is 3 1/2 now.... and we are experiencing a set back now... with her bm's. she will run and hide when she feels the need.... and dh and I recognize it and dash her off to the toilet.... but we are usually late. I've been doing A LOT OF LAUNDRY lately!

she did go through a set back with peeing her pants right around her 3rd birthday, too.

I don't know if they co-incide with growth spurts or not.. but it does seem like two steps ahead, one step back until things balance out. (she had just started a summer school program when we started with this last set back).

Just be patient! And enjoy the moment

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well outings are a little bit of a challenge. At the grocery store she did great! Told me that she ahd to go and I took her- all was well. The Play place was another story. Even though I had my alrm set every 15 mins to ask her she still wet. I wasn't really suprised though. Its a very stimulating place and there were TONS of kids there b/c of 5 days of rain.

Pooping- so far so good. She just ran in to me from the bathroom all excited "I pooped!! I Pooped!'! Sure enough, it was where it was supposed to be.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Congrats thistle! My dd is the same age and she just started using the potty as well. She has accidents here and there and likes to pee outside. All her poops have gone in the potty. I didn't think it would be this easy either. She hasn't used the big potty yet but the pther day at the grocery store she had to sit on all three potties... just testing them out I guess
She really caught me off guard.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I agree with the poster who said if they were ready then it was the right time. My ds who is 3, a little older then his friends were when they learned to use the potty. I knew he nor I was ready, last Monday we started and now I would say he is 95% potty trained, he is doing great telling me while we are out he has to go"peeps". I waited til I knew it was right timing for him.

My dd was EASY. she was 2 and got it down the first day, not one accident. I knew not to expect that from my ds, but I was happy with how well he did, he is also very proud of himself.

So good for you and your dd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts