Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12549069/

Quote:
OLYMPIA, Wash. - The Washington Supreme Court ruled against gay marriage Wednesday, upholding the state's 1998 Defense of Marriage Act.

The 38 plaintiffs in the case - 19 gay and lesbian couples seeking to marry - challenged the constitutionality of the 1998 law, which limits marriage to heterosexual couples.
This makes me sad. Titles like "Defense of Marriage Act" also really piss me off.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
This is perhaps the lamest reasoning I have ever heard:

Quote:
Attorneys defending the marriage law said the state has a legitimate interest in regulating relationships that produce children.
:

How *exactly* does that apply?

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Arrggg....!!!! I live in this state! This is ridiculous! I am so offended that the government thinks it has the right to define what marriage is! Marriage, and who you marry, is between you, that person, and God, NOT hate-filled government bureacracy!
:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Maybe someone forced those judges to smoke some pot 'cause, damn, I've never seen two gay men produce a child.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pumpkinsmama
They are making gay people second class citizens. Disgusting.
Not making them second class citizens, but rather keeping them as second class citizens. This is not anything new.

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
: Pretty much what I meant... I just wasn't explicit. It is hard for me to keep things short and simple sometimes... if I don't I'll go on and on forever!!! and ever!!!! and .... Thanks for helping clarify

You started it....
: More like third class... or fourth. When has it been socially acceptable in most schools to call a kid a racial slur in class in the last decade in a non KKK affiliatted community? But it is ok to call them "gay" and it is understood to be a putdown. And parents are fine with that... Argh.

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Quote:
Attorneys defending the marriage law said the state has a legitimate interest in regulating relationships that produce children.
Er...

What?

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
So my BIL who is sterile by choice... (can't think what the procedure is called for guys...
: ) shouldn't be allowed to get married to my SIL?

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pumpkinsmama
So my BIL who is sterile by choice... (can't think what the procedure is called for guys...
: ) shouldn't be allowed to get married to my SIL?
Or the state just shouldn't get involved? Because that's what it says, so I REALLY don't understand this.
:

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiredX2
This is perhaps the lamest reasoning I have ever heard:

Quote:
Attorneys defending the marriage law said the state has a legitimate interest in regulating relationships that produce children

:

How *exactly* does that apply?
I think they mean that marriage should be heterosexual only because heterosexual couples can produce children, while homosexual couples shouldn't "marry" because they can't produce children.

I don't see how this addresses all the children born outside of wedlock though.....

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla
I don't see how this addresses all the children born outside of wedlock though.....

Yea exactly, because we all know that only married people have kids lol. Not. Both of mine were concieved out of wedlock.(Though I did eventually marry Ds's father...for a time.) I got pregnant with my Dd by a man who was not my husband while I was still married to my son's father- gasp! I seriously wonder how marriage factors into anything related to baby making.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by boingo82
Guess infertile marriages are also not allowable in WA.
Well, in fairness, all this means is that it would be constitutional to pass a law which dissallows infertile marriages, right? So that's a lot better.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Quote:

And Washington is one of the more liberal, progressive states too.
:
Only on this side of the mountains. I do not know where our "supreme" court judges are from in the state but that may explain it.

ETA....This makes me so sad...very very sad. I had great hopes here, with the Eyman initiative failing but alas, we have been failed again. I am anxious to see what is said in church this Sunday (however, now that I think about it, I won't be there as I will be working at Ethnic Fest). We are a reconciling ministry and our church works tirelessly for equality.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Quote:

And Washington is one of the more liberal, progressive states too.
:
On the western part. Eastern Washington makes Alabama look like San Francisco.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts