Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi gals
my first time with un-poo. been wanting to for several weeks but by the time i decide to wash my hair i am already undressed in the tub. but today i planned ahead, mixed up the baking soda and water in a small bowl and took it to the bathroom, planning to try it and if it ididn't work to use shampoo.

well as i rubbed it in my scalp, i ralise it wasn't working. nothing was happening.

but then when i rinsed, i could feel the oil coming out. my hair was so clean!!
i didn't use cide vinegar today but will try next time.

pretty neat, imust say!!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Cool!

I, too, have been taking my first steps in that direction. I feel like I'm still getting the hang of getting the BS all through my hair, for a satisfying result. I have long hair that gets very oily- and I'm very pregnant and can only bear to stand around in the shower with my arms up for so long...

Last night, realizing I wanted a shower before bed, I turned to my dh and said, Do you remember the last time I took a shower???
:
We figured out that it was Sunday- four days earlier- and my hair had just then started to get greasy.

Usually, showering every other day is pushing it with my hair. Yay!

I do admit, in Sunday's shower, I did the BS, and then one lather of shampoo- but usually it takes 3-4 rounds of shampoo per shower for my hair to come out clean, so I am very happy at the results.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i still can't get over how great my hair feels. i have waist-length hair that tends to get oily too. lets see how long my hair stays clean this time.

question: does anyone know if we can use this on our babies as well? is it tear-free. and also, seeing how amazingly well baking soda cleans my sinks and counters, can it actually be gentle on my hair???

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I've heard that you actually don't need to use anything on a babies hair, but if you do, BS shouldn't hurt, but I'd be leary about using ACV in case it got in their eyes (although some women on here say they use it with their babes and it's just fine). I think it's up to you!

Shannon

PS- I've been un-pooing for 3 weeks and I had to start using honey with the BS because my hair got too dried out, but I love this stuff and my DH even wants to start trying it!

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
When I first chucked out the shampoo I used baking soda and honey to wash, but I switched to molasses because it was cheaper. Last time I washed, I used honey again (why? I don't know, just an impulse) and it makes such a huge difference! My hair was so, so soft. And thick!
Honey all the way for me now.

My hair is past my waist, medium thickness. I pour a little boiling water over a heaping tablespoon of baking soda in a pint jar, stir till it quits fizzing, then add about a couple tablespoons of honey. Then when it's all mixed I fill the jar the rest of the way with cold water to cool it down. I wet my hair, drench it with this watery mixture, work it in gently for maybe 30 seconds and rinse.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
When I used to work at a beauty shop they used to mix baking soda with shampoo to remove build-up of products off the hair. Baking soda will work great for someone with oily hair, but if you tend to have dry brittle hair it can be very hard on it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
I wet my hair, drench it with this watery mixture, work it in gently for maybe 30 seconds and rinse.
how do you 'drench' it - doesn't it run right off your scalp? how much do you mix up? i was only mixing up a 1/2 cup, though next time i will definitely make 1 cup since my hair is long too.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Ok, you guys have finally convinced me. LOL

I think I'm going to have to give it a shot. I absolutely love my shampoo (smells sooo good, it's from Aubry Organics), but at the same time, it's NOT cheap. I'm trying so hard to find ways to save $, so I think the expensive shampoo has got to go.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amma!
how do you 'drench' it - doesn't it run right off your scalp? how much do you mix up? i was only mixing up a 1/2 cup, though next time i will definitely make 1 cup since my hair is long too.
I wet my hair first, then I tip my head back and pour the liquid onto my scalp and hair -- letting it run through my hair and down the length -- and I lift my hair for a second to splash a little on the hair at my nape too. I've never had a problem with it running off instead of drenching my hair.

The mixture I described ends up filling a pint Mason jar. I mix the amounts I gave and then fill the jar up the rest of the way with cold water, to cool the boiling water down.

Watch out with the kids -- baking soda in the eyes HURTS.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Watch out with the kids -- baking soda in the eyes HURTS.
ahh that is what i wanted to know. i did it for the second time today. i tried to let some run over my eyes but i didn't feel anything. but i will take your word for it. haha

haven't tried adding honey yet. this method is just SO easy, i heditate to complicate it.

so what is the purpose of the apple cider vinegar rinse - to get out any residual aking soda? or conditioning?

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I did baking soda today. i didn't know the "recipe" for un-pooing. I had just bought some new shampoo at the healthfood store and I seem to have broken out in a rash in spots that could have been affected by the shampoo. So I decided that baking soda would be a good idea. I just picked it up from the container with my wet fingers and rubbed it into my wet hair.

If I am going to keep using baking soda, do I also need to use honey and apple cider vinegar? Or can I get away with just the baking soda? HOw often can I wash my hair with baking soda? Do I have to wait a day between washes? All I knew that was that my friend with multiple chemical sensitivities uses baking soda so I thought "well, if I'm breaking out from the fragrances or the herbs in the shampoo, this will be safe!"

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
CO, you will probably have to experiment to see what works best for you. Baking soda is actually a very strong "stripping" agent, so my inclination would be to take it easy at first and watch to see if your hair starts feeling dry or split. Some people (like me
) really like the honey and some find it makes their hair flat and limp. Some people use egg instead of honey. Some people don't use a vinegar rinse at all, and some people substitute lemon or lime juice. (Theoretically, you need an acid rinse to restore the hair's pH balance afetr washing with alkaline baking soda, but I've skipped that more than once and never noticed a difference.)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Sorry to sound ignorant...just tried the no-poo thing myself just the other day. I put the bs in my hair straight from the box to my hand to my wet hair. I rinsed with acv straight from the bottle to my hand to my hair.

For those who are making a "solution" with honey...are you only making enough for one wash? If you make a big batch can it sit around for a week or more? What kind of containers do you keep your bs and acv in? Do you get them from the kitchen every day or keep seperate in the bathroom? Trying to figure out how to do this logistically.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I've never used honey before. I may just have to do that...

I do bs mixed with water to form a paste and massage into my hair, using the pads of my fingers to really get the hairline, my crown and right over my ears where I get greasy. Rinse well. I then mix 3 tbsp raw acv with 30+ oz water and then rinse well some more. I have really great hair now, after years of washing daily with every expensive concoction you can imagine.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
FYI, some of the no-poo ideas from last year's threads are in a sticky at the top of the forum. I linked to the summary in my signature, but there are also a couple posts below that. (and if anybody has anything they want me to add to the summary, PM me and I'll be happy to do that, as well.)

I'm a no-poo dropout but it's definitely cool stuff and something I will probably do again in the future.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I have been reading and reading. Do any of you have very short hair?

Mine is a short crop so would I only need a very small amount of everything? I have quite greasy hair which is wild when I get up in the morning and if I don't wash it it looks horrible by the evening.

I know I have nothing to lose, but could I no-poo everyday with a weak bs solution? What do you think?

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I think you probably could, orangefoot. You could give it a shot, anyway.
One of the reasons for doing it is to balance out the scalp so that it doesn't produce as much grease, kind of like breaking the vicious cycle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.