Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you wash your new/used baby clothes with? I have piles that I am ready to wash, but am not sure which detergent to use and my brain is in gear but the transmission seems to be slipping. What's your system?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I originally washed DD (baby #1) clothes in Dreft. But within a couple months was just washing them with the same detergent I wash all our clothes. All Free & Clear. I didn't bother with the Dreft with DS's clothes and won't with Radish's either.

You just want to avoid really harsh detergents like Tide. Otherwise just use what you use on your clothes. YK the ones the baby will be laying against all the time.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Sportswash---same stuff I use to wash my cloth diapers
. I like its non-scent. For some reason, Dreft smells yucky to me.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I used Dreft bc it's supposed to be gentle and smells heavenly! (to me LOL) Can't use Tide with my DS, I used it on his dipes for a while and he's allergic to it!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by georgia
Sportswash---same stuff I use to wash my cloth diapers
. I like its non-scent. For some reason, Dreft smells yucky to me.
same here..I use Sportwash for the first 6 months or so, then eventually wash baby clothes in what ever I am using for the family (as long as there is no reaction or rash, I did have to go back to Sportwash a few times with DS2)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! I was so hesitant to throw in a load, I was thinking I needed to do it all special, but it sounds like my usual detergent should be fine, we use pretty gentle stuff for ourselves.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
For ourselves and our baby's clothes, I use/will use powder or liquid laundry soap (NOT detergent) from our local co-op or natural foods store.

On the dog/ferret bedding, I use Tide/Era/All (one of em) and Oxi-Clean.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i wash the baby clothes with his diapers lol .... the baby uses sun & earth with 1/4 cap of calgon water softener every load with a vinegar rinse and becasue we have such harsh water i do a full cold wash with all the stuff in it then when it buzzes i just go down and restart the washer and do a full hot wash but if we had normal water i could probably skip lots of steps... in our regualr laundry we use arm & hammer but jack had an enzyme issue and all out laundry gets a vinegar rinse because fabric softeners bother lexi's allergies

·
Registered
485 Posts
Stay away from the Arm and Hammer Advanced Fabricare detergent - it has some harsh enzymes. But the regular Arm and Hammer detergent should be fine.

I was surprised to learn that soaps (Ivory Snow, etc) rather than detergents actually tend to leave more residue after the final rinse - I always thought they were supposed to be milder, but if they are building up on your clothes that is no good!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I know that All has a brand out that is baby detergent equivalent to Dreft.... I don't know whether its worth it price-wise--just know its cheaper than dreft. Since its new, I'm sure you can find some coupons online to promote it.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I also wanted to add that you really don't need that much soap.

Before my DS was potty-trained and we were using cloth diapers, I would add just a splash of detergent to the diapers. I have since realized that all it takes to get clothes clean is 2T of detergent and room in the washer for the clothes to move around freely.

hth
Amy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts