Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're going to be CDing our baby (due December) with prefolds. All our laundry is washed with BS and vinegar now. For you mommas who are washing your diapers this way, would you mind sharing what you do (water temp., pre-soaking, tto, etc)? Thanks!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have a front-loader and I use almost 1 teaspoon of Biokleen, half a teaspoon of bs and vinegar in the rinse cycle. I wash with warm water and set it for an extra rinse. I usually wash 9 diapers at a time and they come out great! I pop them in the dryer for abour 15 minutes on high and if it is sunny out I line-dry.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
A lot depends on what kind of diapers you're using, I think. I used cotton prefolds with velcro covers (some fleece, some Diaperaps). I did no rinsing/ soaking (just dumped poop off into toilet if it was solid), and washed on the "heavy" cycle on hot with an extra rinse. I used Biokleen detergent- I tried backing soda/ vinegar, but it didn't work as well. It seems to me that the folks using pocket diapers, wool diapers, and all-in-one diapers have the most trouble with diaper maintenance.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
i use prefolds, here is what i do: i don't soak, just dump poo in toilet (well i do this now that ds eats solids, while he was ebf i didn't). i wash them on hot with a cup of bs (i have hard water, if yours is soft 1/2 cup is fine) and a couple drops of tto or a squirt of dr. bronners. i put vinegar in one of those downey balls to be released in the rinse water. also, i have my machine on heavy wash and turn on the extra rinse cycle. then throw in the dryer on high. my diapers smell great. hth.

tip for the diaper pail: i find baking soda sprinkled on the bottom and a rag with a few drops of tto on it tossed in work better than the citrus deo disks i was buying.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
i use prefolds, here is what i do: i don't soak, just dump poo in toilet (well i do this now that ds eats solids, while he was ebf i didn't). i wash them on hot with a cup of bs (i have hard water, if yours is soft 1/2 cup is fine) and a couple drops of tto or a squirt of dr. bronners. i put vinegar in one of those downey balls to be released in the rinse water. also, i have my machine on heavy wash and turn on the extra rinse cycle. then throw in the dryer on high. my diapers smell great. hth.

tip for the diaper pail: i find baking soda sprinkled on the bottom and a rag with a few drops of tto on it tossed in work better than the citrus deo disks i was buying.
Vaquita, this post is already hanging in my laundry room, ready for my babe to arrive! It sounds like we have similar washers....I wanted to double-check with you though: You don't do a cold water rinse first? I've heard of some problems with hot water setting stains.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Shanna- oops. yes, i do a short cold wash first. i'd forgotten, since ds now does all his pooping in the potty it doesn't matter anymore, but before that i did. then the hot wash. for the first cold wash i use a little bs only. i wash diaper covers and wet bags in the first wash -i find tto and vinegar make them turn out funny- then i take those out and do a hot wash. sometimes, if i'm completely out of diapers, then i'll only wash them once. but if i do that too many times in a row, the diapers will start to have a slight smell.

oh, and if/when you get stains that drying in the sun trick really does work. if it doesn't fade completely the first time, rewet them and dry them in the sun again. if you haven't already bought your diapers, i'd suggest getting unbleached ones. i had them and they really hide faint stains, so i only needed to sun bleach a few. doesn't work for wine stains though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts