Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello cloth diapering ladies. we're taking dd backpacking next week. i've borrowed some cloth dipes from a friend and even ordered a few extra prefolds for the trip. (my first cloth diaper order!! i might be hooked if all goes well.)

this is a pack-it-in, pack-it-out kind of trip. i'll be washing dipes and wipes daily. i'd like to take a bar of soap for washing. what do you recommend? since we're backpacking it needs to be environmentally friendly. is a soap used for bathing/shampooing ok to use on the diapers? they sell special soaps for backpacking at stores like REI and Academy. would one of those work or would it be too harsh on the diapers?

what would you use were you backpacking with your little one and your dipes?

thanks in advance for any expert advice you can give me.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I would think that any soap for bathing/shampooing would be just fine for the trip. It wouldn't cause any significant build up in such a short amount of time. However, I would strip wash them when you came home just to be sure

·
Registered
57 Posts
I suggest a castille soap (like Dr. Bronner's). The label says you can use it for everything, and I actually have - diapers, dishes, hands, hair....but I don't recommend trying it as toothpaste
I use the liquid form, but I think they do make a bar soap, as well.

I miss backpacking; I didn't go last year when I was pg, and just can't wait to take dd (7.75 months)! Have fun!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
If you're doing dipes daily I wonder if you might be better off with flats (sorry). I'm on vacation right now and without the luxury of time at home (laundromat & line drying) I'm seeing just how long my prefolds & fitteds take to dry. My SIL uses flats for a bib (not on my nephews, butt, though) and they dried VERY fast.

Hope it isn't too late for you to consider.

Have a great time, let us know what you did & how it goes!!
Donna

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow. lots of good suggestions!

i don't think i have time to order and receive any other diapers than the ones i have before we leave on saturday. (why isn't there a store in town with quality diapers?? -- but that's another thread.) besides, i'm a novice and am just getting the hang of getting the prefolds on right. the fitteds are much heavier and i plan to leave them at home. unless it's raining i think everything will dry in a jiffy -- no rain
:

out running errands today we picked up a bar of dr bronners soap. i think that'll do the trick for us this time out. next time we take a little one to the backcountry i should be an expert!

thanks again for your help, everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.