Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our diaper service is going out of business
and I really don't want to start using sposies. We have been using prefolds and wraps since ds was born. We own and wash our own wraps, but I have never washed prefolds.

Soooo....I have gleaned a few ideas from browsing around, but it would be nice to get some more input. How do you wash your prefolds?? What do you use for soap, or what do you use if you don't use soap? How many can you wash at one time?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Prefolds are so easy to wash. Just throw 'em in! I use Charlie's Soap and love it, though it doesn't work for everyone. You can fill up your machine with them...wash like your other laundry. We wash ours with all our other diapers and covers. No complaints.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I wash usually 3 dozen prefolds at a time (hot wash followed by two cold rinses) with a small amount of detergent. Then I dry in the dryer.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Last night I washed 30 Regular sized prefolds using the "large" setting on my washing machine. I have always used Tide (I use about 1/4 cup of liquid detergent). I never had to use bleach when I was diapering dd2, but I'm not opposed to the idea. I have heard some people say they use about 1/4 cup every few weeks or so.

I always do a cold rinse first. Detergents work best at close to neutral pH, so rinsing the urine out of the diapers before doing the actual "wash" is important. The cold rinse also washes most of the poop out and keeps stains away. Then I set the machine for a hot "regular" cycle w/ detergent and let the machine go through all the normal cycles. When it is done I reset the machine for a regular hot wash and let it go through all the cycles again. Then everything (covers included) go in the dryer on Medium heat. Medium heat keeps your diapers softer than high heat
Super easy! There is nothing better than pulling a fresh load of prefolds out of the dryer

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
I usually put the covers in a different spot than my diapers--I've put some cotton wraps in the hot wash and lost them ...

But I do a cycle on cold, then add just a bit of detergent (the free and clear kind from costco...) and do a hot wash...

we have an extended rinse cycle--and I always do that with my diapers... dry them for about 50 minutes...

I do a full load of diapers each time, so they seem to take awhile to dry in the dryer...

I love prefolds! And I think you will get to liking washing your own over a service...

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, everyone! It doesn't sound too hard. I was just such a laundry-phobe before ds was born, but now I am used to doing so much more laundry anyway that a couple more loads a week shouldn't make a difference!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.