Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I know that once I’m using the cloth diapers they should be washed special-special in something like All Free Clear, or other sensitive bum type detergents. But what about when I’m just preparing them for softness? You know how you have to wash CPFs a zillion times? – Can I use whatever detergent I have on hand now and then just make sure the last wash before baby uses them is the special-special?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I just use BioKleen laundry powder for all of our laundry, so when I prep my dipes, I just use that, and continue using it throughout. I would think that you'd probably want to wash in whatever you felt comfortable having next to baby's skin.

Maybe someone else could shed more light on it than I.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You want to wash in a detergent that is dipe acceptable from the get-go. Buildup can start from the beginning. CPFs are a bit more bulletproof in the detergents you can wash with, but watch out with pockets and the like.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Free and Clear detergents contain brighteners: dyes that will coat the dipe and affect absorbancy. (No, they aren't "added" dyes -- they're dyes already in there
: )

I'd use Charlie's Soap or Allens Naturally, which are both 100% water soluble, so no residue. And I'd use one of those from the get-go. (Charlie's is way cheaper for us than Allens, and we use Charlie's for everything: dipes, baby's clothes, dog bed covers, our clothes, etc. We used to use All F&C for our clothes until I got the Charlie's and realized it was cheaper than the F&C detergents per load.)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nigellas
I've heard of Charlies before, but I thought soap products were bad for diapers and we should only use detergents...? No?
Charlies is not really a soap it is a detergent. It tells how it got the name soap on their website in the FAQ. I was going to put it here but my son need something so I have to go.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Use a detergent without emzymes. No fabric softeners or fabric sheets. We personally use "Little Miracles for diapers and pails". But you can buy detergent at your grocery store if you read the lable and get what is suggested. And only use about 1 to 2 Tablespoons of detergent. Also do not use diaper rash creams with fish oils. Use a diaper friendly rash cream.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.