Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little one will be making his appearance in about 8-10weeks and the baby room is littered w/ baby dipes that need to be washed.

I have an eclectic collection of used dipes I've purchased from eBay & the TP. They range from bum genius, kissaluvs, FB, inserts, prefolds and covers.

I was planning on purchasing a gallon of vinegar and getting some baking soda and and I already have Charlies soap. From what I've read I should add the baking soda to the wash and the vinegar to the rinse.

Should I wash the dipes more than once-perhaps 2x? Should I be concerned about stripping them and if so NOT SURE how I do this?

Any/ALL suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
IIWY I would wash everything in really hot water with detergent and then wash on hot again with nothing (or do a couple rinse cycles after the detergent cycle if you have a better washer than mine that offers an extra rinse cycle(s)).

You can do BS in with the detergent or vinegar in the rinse, but I don't think you need to. I've done that at points and BS can cause build up like detergent does. I'd only use that if I needed to (i.e. after the newborn breastmilk poops when I get 'stink' - I'll add BS to my diaper pail that will ultimately end up in the wash).

B4 you strip, you can test your fleece - like the FBS by dropping water onto the surface of the fleece, does it bead up and not absorb at all? If so, you can strip them by washing them in plain Dawn dish liquid and scrub gently with a scrub brush and then just wash as normal.

In order to keep build up from forming just rinse, rinse, rinse, yk?

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
We do a cold wash with soap and a warm wash with no soap. Works great for us. We have also done a cold cold when we are watching the gas bill and they still come out clean.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I would bleach them for sure. That will kill all mold/fungi/bacteria that could be there. After all, someone's baby pooped in them, and it was not yours! I am not grossed out by my ds's poop, but other baby's poop disgusts me!!

I think you only have to use 1 tbsp/bleach per 2 gallons of water to sanitize. I would add the bleach to cold water, let it mix, then throw in the dipes and do a short wash. Then wash with hot water/warm rinses with your Charlies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts