Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night on cops, a 15 year old girl was arrested after self defense from abusive mother. The young girl was on the phone, and her mother didn't approve of her talking to a boy, so... her mother yanked her hair then shoved her down onto the pavement, so the teen fought back by in return pulling her mother's hair and kicking/shoving her to get her mother off of her. The teen was arrested after the mother called the police. The mother was not arrested. The mother also stated the young girl had never been in trouble before.

What did the officer say to the young girl? Your mother is allowed to discipline you as she sees fit, which means she can pull your hair, she can shove you to the ground within reason. You do not have the right to fight back.

I was very upset in seeing this. The child was obviously fighting back in an abusive situation, which her mother started, and legally she had no right to defend herself or even react as any normal human being would react. In fact, she was aarrested. I find this disturbing.

I am surprised to be honest that it is still legal, and acceptable even, to spank, hit, strike, shove, or otherwise inflict physical pain on a child. So the next time my husband gets sassy, should it be legal for me to yank his hair, shove him to the pavement, and expect him to just lay there?
: Or vice versa? I believe THAT is called domestic abuse! But when a helpless child is involved, it's called discipline.

*edited for some ugly typos*

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
How terrible
I can guarantee you that if someone was attacking me and pulling my hair I would fight back, and so would my children. Poor kid, and from the sounds of it, poor family.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Oh yes, this is how it is. I know from personal experience. Parent ALWAYS knows best.

NOT!
:

·
Banned
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wheezie
Was it a repeat? Seems like I saw that same episode (but not last night).

: If it's the same one, I felt so bad for the daughter.

Very likely. In some cases I may not have felt upset, but in this case I was. None of it sat right with me.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I saw that too. Made my stomach turn. Especially the cop yelling at her that her mother has the right to spank her and push her down, then telling the daughter that she was being disrespectful to her mother. Ugh.

And the mother saying she's not going to bail her out, but is going to let her go before a judge. Yeah, that should help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts