Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just wondering about other people's experiences. I may watch a 3m old along with my 9 m old two days a week. How has this worked out for other people?

·
Registered
260 Posts
2 days a week might not be too bad, but i personally wouldnt do more than that. my sister tried to watch my son when he was 4.5 months, and she was too overwhelmed and it didnt work out. i personally know how hard it was for me to go from 1 to 2 kids (and they were my own kids)....not easy to go places and do things....not easy to coordinate naps, etc.....it will def. limit your flexibility those days.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
For me, it worked out really well when I just had one. He was 7 months when I started watching another little guy who was 12 months. My DS learned a lot from the other little boy and really enjoyed interacting with him. Tough times were meal times trying to help feed both kids (neither were self feeding much yet), when both were crying at the same time, and feeling house bound sometimes (like in the summer...where I live it gets REALLY hot!). It helped a lot when my in-laws got me a double stroller and an extra high chair from a garage sale. Easier to feed both kids together and get out more for walks/outside more. The extra money was nice too, and overall it was a really positive experience. As the boys got older, they could play together more too, and I know DS enjoyed having another kid around. I am not doing it anymore at this point as I am pg with #3, and have a lot going on with taking my older two to activities, school, and such, and only have room for 3 kids in the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I do this. I run a home daycare. I have my 3-mo-old daughter, and another 8-mo-old girl. It's not as hard as I thought it might be. If I had tried to do this when my daughter was brand new, it would have been verrrrry difficult, as my baby was very fussy in the beginning and is just now starting to be more relaxed. It can be a lot of fun, though it does have its challenges. The thing I love about it is that it enables me to stay at home with my daughter, where I otherwise couldn't afford to. I do actually have to find one more child to watch to make ends meet.

I do have lots of past childcare experience, though. It may not be so easy for someone who doesn't, even if you have experience with your own kids. It's a bit different watching someone else's kids. I have a daily form I fill out about diaper changes, feedings, activities, etc, for the parents, and I have to make sure I give as much attention to the other baby as I do to mine, since I see her awake about as much as her parents do. If you go into this expecting that your day is going to be the same as it would be if you were just watching your own kids, think again. Most parents are going to expect you to take your job seriously as far as interacting with the children. Just a thought. If you think it's something you can handle, though, go for it! It's very rewarding.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
i too watch children. we have our 6 year old (homeschooled), our 3 year old and then the extra kids who are 4 and two 2 year olds...
i also have another 6 year old on tuesdays only. usually it's 5 days a week, but i am only working 3 for the summer so i feel like i get mini vacations now....
: it was hard at first as one of the 2 year olds was only 5 months when she first started here, but they've gotten into a routine and now things go fine most of the time, we have our bad days too..
i keep lots of activities on hand like drawing, play dough, water activities, etc.. they all tend to make their own fun too outside. yesterday the big girls helped the little ones build a fairy town out of grass, dirt, sticks, etc..

last year when dh was laid off, the income generated from my childcare job paid our utilities, car payment and car insurance....so it was worth it. now that he's working again full time, it is allowing us to start getting caught up on the other bills we had to get behind with. plus my girls love knowing they have friends coming over everyday...
:

i've been doing this for 3 years now.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I think it can be a wonderful or horrible thing. It really depends on the mother and what else you have going on at home.

I started keeping a newborn last summer and just decided to quit about a month and a half ago. Here's why....

The baby was very rotten at home. I can't blame the parents, they're older and that's going to be their only child. He's constantly held and played with when at home. That's all fine and good until he has to go to a home where I don't hold or entertain him all day.

We're very active on the homestead and we're always busy and constantly doing or creating something. Everything's from scratch, we have gardens, livestock, etc. I enjoy doing that work and I wasn't able to do much of it when I had a newborn and my 3yo DS.

I had a soapmaking business that I actually had to drop because I wasn't able to make soap with a 3yo and newborn around. I really enjoyed doing this too and dropped it because it wasn't bringing in the steady money the babysitting was.

I was keeping him for about 10hrs every work day. His mother and my husband work in the same office, so when my husband took a day off she generally wasn't able to, so we couldn't enjoy any time off together.

I got really tired of constantly having to shush my 3yo while the baby was napping. And then when the 3yo was napping the baby was up and keeping the 3yo awake.

Honestly, I do so much around the homestead I think my time is better spent that way and $110 for a 50 hour work week just wasn't cutting it.

I'll be brutally honest here....I've never been much for babysitting. I love my child and couldn't imagine a day without him. I also feel the way about family and very close friends' children but other than that I really don't enjoy watching someone else's. I know it sounds callous, but that's just the way I am and I think it's important to be honest with yourself about those kinds of feelings if you're considering this....it's not for everyone.

It's a great way to make extra money and have some playmates for your own kids if it works for you, but be sure to take the extra time to ask yourself the hard questions before you start. Anything that's bugging you when you start out most likely won't get better and will lead to burn out.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
i totally would do 2 days a week. I did about that age span when i just had my daughter. but i did all week. The extra money was nice, but I had no time just me and dd and i had no time to go and do stuff.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I am going to try it. My instinct is it's the right thing to do. the baby is a real charmer. I have lot so experience so that should help.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
My dd's bus drivers grandson(about 3 or 4 months older than my DS) needed a sitter for the summer and I told her that it would be too overwhelming for me. I tried doing it with my nephew who is 3 months older than my DS and I was about to go loony..and it was only for a few hours.

I watched a neighbor girl that is 2 and my DS and it was better, but I still had to watch her every move. I opt not to do with babies that are that close in age...unless it is my children.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
I do childcare in addition to my own kids. That's the only way we can afford to pay bills.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I am currently looking for a child to watch who is close in age to my DS, and only 2-3 days a week. We could really use the extra money. I've worked in a daycare before but I know that with two 3 year olds I can be more relaxed than a daycare setting where you would have 6 or 8. My DS is a much happier and more well behaved child when he is around other kids.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
I agree with Abarat. We needed some income last fall, so I advertised to do daycare. I didn't get much response, mostly because we're kind of in the boondocks, but I did get one baby who I watch 1-2 days a week.

I hate it. The thought of her coming over makes my blood run cold. She is so hard to deal with. She is now about 17 months old and she screams constantly, unless I hold her. And the whole time I hold her, she pinches and scratches me. She won't tolerate the Ergo, either.

The worst part is that my kids hate her, too. It's sad, but understandable. Whenever we read, which we do a lot, she screams unless I hold her in my lap, even if I'm already holding someone else. Then she screams and tries to grab the book the whole time. When they play, she screams at them and tries to get their toys. When they run around, she screams and cries.

It might be better if she was full-time, because I could figure her out more, but as it is, it's just painful. I am hoping to quit soon, though I feel bad about her having to adjust to a new family/daycare. And I know I provide pretty high quality of care. However, she has never once shown an inkling of separation anxiety or change of emotion when her parents arrive, so I don't think she's particularly attached to her parents.

Anyway, I think some people are cut out for it, and some aren't. I'm not!

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taryn237 View Post
I am currently looking for a child to watch who is close in age to my DS, and only 2-3 days a week. We could really use the extra money. I've worked in a daycare before but I know that with two 3 year olds I can be more relaxed than a daycare setting where you would have 6 or 8. My DS is a much happier and more well behaved child when he is around other kids.
This might be the secret. I think my kids would do great with a 3 year old. I do respite care for a foster mom, and she had a 3 yo and a 4 yo last year and it was great fun. Maybe the age makes the difference?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now I am having second thoughts. Returning from a run with DD in jogging stroller sound asleep I realized it would be really hard to carry the jogging stroller up several stairs w/ another baby on me. We live in a large building in the city so I can't leave the stroller outside.

I'd like to help out this family but it maybe more worth my time to tutor a couple hours a week. Summer is a good time for tutoring but it will drop off in the fall.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
It can't hurt to give it a try at least... the girl I watch is like a DREAM most of the time. She's now 9 months old, and is just the most happy-go-lucky baby I've seen. *My* DD is the one who is fussy LOL, but not as much as when she was a newborn. It took about a week to get used to watching two babies at once in my own home, but I've got a routine of sorts (as much as one can have with babies who eat/sleep when they want to).

It's really pretty easy, though it can be tiring. The only time the other little girl fusses is when she's tired, but that's understandable. She really doesn't even cry... just whines a little and rubs her eyes LOL. The best part is when both babies nap at the same time. Then I'm able to do some chores around the house or just relax and have a little time to myself. Generally the both take at least 1, if not 2 naps during the day. So much nicer than older kids who are awake the whole time and running everywhere.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts