Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
As far as I know most hospitals offer waterbirths and birthing centers anyway.Justc all the enarest and ask, I am sure they offer it, it is not such a curiousity in Germany as it is in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Huggerwocky is right. Many hospitals offer waterbirths as a part of their facilities. The best way to get to know the right place for you is to call some of the hospitals/birthing centres/clincs and find out about their information evenings. Usually held once or twice a month.
You could also contact a midwife or midwife centre and ask them for some information. They are legally not allowed to 'recommend' any one particular place, but they can at least point you in the right direction.
If you have an English speaking LLL group in your area, they also might be able to point you in the right direction.

In Stuttgart (where I live) there is a list of places to have babies (hospitals, birthing centres...etc.) published every year and available in most ob/gym offices and/or midwife associations. They also have a list of qualified midwives in the area, indicating which languages they speak, what 'specialities' they have (acupuncture, home births, lactation consultants, etc.) and all contact details.
If you want, PM me and I can give you some more info about your particular area.

·
Registered
453 Posts
hi there

I had a waterbirth 2 years ago in south Germany. In the town I lived in...there were about 5 hospitals and I did tour at each hospital and went with the one I was most comfortable with and met the needs of myself and baby. (due to my diabetes). As first birth, hospital was closest but they didnt have proper facility to help my baby who had hypo (due to my diabetes) and we were separated. So that was high on my list as well as where had a waterbath.

About 4 out of 5 had a waterbath in their birthing room. It also feels like a birthing center too and didnt have usual bed, but balls, ropes, stools so forth.

The birthing center...just one in town...didnt have a waterbath. Just a normal bathtub. But they couldnt provide me with what I needed for my baby either.

I had a wonderful experience and felt like I was in a birthing center.

Best thing is to tour all the centers and hospitals and ask tons of questions.

Whereabout do you live?

You can email me for more questions.

steph

·
Registered
779 Posts
I had my Little Man at St. Johannes in Landstuhl and they were WONDERFUL!! Dr. Buchler was my Dr and my midwife was Christine and they we the best. If I get pregnant again I want to fly back to do it with them all over again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.