Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If my water breaks and gushes someplace like my bed or on the carpet, what kind of pain in the tush will that cause? Is it easy to clean up? Does it leave a stain or smell? I'm not overly concerned, but it would be one less thing to NOT think about. Any tips (or good SROM stories)?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Hmm, I'm curious about this too. i had my water broken in the hospital with my last pregnancy, so I don't have any experience with that. I wouldn't think it would be any worse than pee though, unless there was meconium present.

·
Registered
957 Posts
When my water broke I was sitting oun my couch watching a movie with my Dh and my sister. We all heard a "pop" and all I felt was a tiny bit of wetness in my panties. Not a gush or stream type thing. I just kept changing a cloth prefold in my panties for the next 12-14 hours for the dripping until "real" labor began.

Maybe others had "floods" but not me.

·
Registered
750 Posts
With my first my water broke at 35 weeks so totally unexpected. I was in bed and dozed off for a minute and then felt different and all of a sudden water was everywhere. It stopped for a few seconds and then more. It was a good amount, everything was soaked but it was clear amniotic fluid and was no problem cleaning up. We just changed the sheets etc. and there was no stains or anything.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
With DS, my water broke spontaneously in the middle of the night at 38 weeks. I'd been sleeping (fitfully, due to feeling crampy), and the big POP! woke me up. Usually they say if you're lying down that's when you'll get a big gush of amniotic fluid, b/c gravity isn't making a plug of baby's head. I didn't have a big gush, though. I knew what it was right away, went into the bathroom, and commenced to have little gushes for the next 15 hours, till DS was born. I never leaked more at one time than a maxi pad or chux pad couldn't handle.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
My water broke on our beige carpet w/ lots of green meconium in it. Ew! I basically skipped early labor & wasn't really aware of what was going on, but I think it was easy to clean up since dh got to it right away. There was no evidence of it later.

·
Banned
2,097 Posts
My girlfriend's water broke at my house on the couch and some got on the carpet alsp. Mostly, it was on her. I dont' recall any smell at all, and I used carpet cleaner on the sofa/carpet to get it out... but it wasn't a big deal.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
When my water broke with my son, I was in bed, and some got on the bed, but I jumped up pretty quick and dribbled all the way to the bathroom!
My hubby chaged the sheets and the bed was dry by the time I came home from the hospital 2 days later.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
You know that new baby smell? Its sooo wonderfully spicy, warm, and sweet. If the amniotc fluid has a smell at all, that will be it.

I was laying in bed when my water broke. It popped loud and jerked the bed. I had no clue what it was until seconds later when a giant gush of fluid filled my underwear... seriously it was so thick it didn't soak throught the fabric. I just started yelling "towels!" and dh stuffed them under me. I think this time I'll just sit on chux pads for a month or so, just in case.

·
Registered
349 Posts
We keep a waterproof pad between our mattress pad and the mattress in case DD has any leaky-diaper accidents during the night, and I am counting on this as my insurance policy in case my water breaks while I'm in bed and it gushes. It's just a flat piece of vinyl on one side and flannel on the other - kind of like those cafe table cloths. You definitely don't want it right under the sheet because when you sweat at night (everyone does whether you realize it or not) you end up laying in a swamp.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
It's actually less likely that your labor will begin with spontaneous rupture of membranes. Then, it's less likely that you'll gush all over the place. Then, it's even more less likely that you'll have meconium in the water. We're talking percentages of percentages of percentages here.

Amniotic fluid without meconium is clear and doesn't stain anything. It would be like spilling some water. Easy to clean up.

In my first homebirth, I put a mattress protector between my mattress pad and my mattress. My water ended up breaking to begin labor, but it broke in my bathroom over the carpet. It was a bit of a trickle running down my leg. Nothing major. Very minimal clean up. With my second and now my third homebirth -- at this point, frankly my mattress has been peed on so often (from one child or another), I REALLY am not concerned about amniotic fluid!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
With my first pregnancy my water broke during the night while I was in bed. I woke up, thinking that I had wet myself, and walked to the bathroom. It was just a light trickle for a few hours and had a very light pink tint to it...nothing dramatic about it breaking, though...and no smell or mess.

·
Registered
727 Posts
#4 was the only one that broke where it would be a concern. I was waiting for the tub to get warm enough and I ended up going to a squat and pop and gush probably about 2 cups of water. Dh put down a towel right away and about an hour layer used the tea tree oil/water/vinger/soap spray that I use as my all purpose cleaner to scrub the spot with a clean towel and that was it.. no evidence of it later no smell etc...

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Mine blew like a geyser while standing about 40 minutes into my labor - it was incredible! Clear, sweet smelling water & a huge puddle at that. No biggie, it was hard floor, but I wouldn't sweat it if it was in bed or something. My little concern is that it will happen in the car this time, another reason I just wanna stay home!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Mine broke with a big gush when I was lying down in bed (grrr - had just gone to bed). Luckily, I'd convinced DH of the "need" to buy a waterproof mattress cover. I did leave a wet trail to the bathroom, but it wasn't difficult to clean up.

Later in the hospital, I had more "gushes" with meconium. I am glad I didn't have to clean that up - it was pretty sticky as it was.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
With ds, my water didn't break until just before I started pushing, and I was already in the water when it broke, so I didn't even realize it had.

With dd, labor started with ROM--I woke up in the middle of the night, needed to pee really bad but didn't want to get up. Finally forced myself to roll over, and as I was rolling, I heard/felt a pop and a small trickle. Didn't realize what the trickle was (thought it was pee since I had to pee so bad, and since, ya know, late pregnancy is sooooo dignified, what with amazing bladder control and all!
) When began to stand up, there was a gush which clued me in.

We already had a mattress protector on the bed, so that wasn't an issue. And the carpet, I have no idea--I think most of the gush soaked into my pj's leg, so I doubt there was really anything to clean. However, contrary to what I was told, and what a lot of women report as their experience, my pj's did stain, very much. And there was NO meconium--it was totally crystal clear. The stain didn't show up at first, but it was quite obvious after they were laundered (which I admit, washing them immediately was NOT on my priority list, so they may have been in the hamper for several days or even a week!).

The smell is something else where my exp. was different than what I was told to expect. I don't recall any lasting odor, but while the fluid was still wet, and certainly during that first gush, there was a strong, heady odor--sweet and almondy smelling. Not at all unpleasant--like the PP said, much like newborn-baby smell. But very strong, so I almost had to cover my nose, KWIM?

Interestingly, dh does not remember any particular smell, but perhaps he was just groggy, as it was the middle of the night and I tried not to disturb him too much.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Mine broke at the onset of labor and was very green with meconium. I think it only got on my shorts and I know it all came out b/c I just put those shorts back in my wardrobe rotation.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Mine broke with a "pop" and a huge gush right after I went to bed one night (prior to labor's onset). There was no meconium -- we sopped up what we could with towels and used a hair dryer to dry the mattress as best we could. Didn't really smell that I noticed. Some people say that amniotic fluid smells like semen.

I wasn't expecting my water to break until during labor, so I was very surprised. When it happened I turned to my DH and said, in a horrified voice, "Something's coming out of me!!"
I also had no idea that spurts of fluid would keep coming out so I'd need to use pads/towels to collect the trickle. It did mostly stop after about 12 hours, as best I can recall.

Carol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.