Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My waters broke around 2 hours ago. I haven't had any hard contractions yet, but they're picking up in frequency/strength.

There's a huge winter storm out there.
: There's no way my little car could get out of the driveway. It's supposed to keep snowing for another 12 hours and even after that who knows when the roads will be cleared.

WWYD? My town is notoriously bad at plowing and I live on a side street. What happens if we can't get out and the baby is coming? Should I consider calling an ambulance? I feel calm about the birth but terrified because of the storm. Any advice appreciated!

Obviously I'm hoping that labor doesn't really start until the roads are clear, but I need advice on what to do if that doesn't happen!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
I would probably wait till you think you need to go to the hospital, and then call an ambulance if you still can't get out. But this is my first also, so I am no expert. I would call the Doc/MW but there is one drawback: I know some will start you on the "clock" that you have to deliver within certain time of water breaking, so that would be up to you if you know your practitioner enough to trust them not to rush you if you are not in labor. Does that make sense?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
Depends on how and where you planned on delivering. If it was outside of the hospital, I would not call for an ambulance until I absolutely needed their help. But if you planned on delivering there anyway, maybe you could go on in.

There are lots of resources online for UC (Unassisted Childbirth) that could help you in a pinch. Even the 911 dispatcher should be able to give you instructions if it comes to that.

Don't freak out, and try to stay warm!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am planning to deliver at the hospital with a midwife. I just read up on unassisted childbirth sites and I'm feeling much more relaxed now. I will just go with the flow, and if he wants to be born at home into his papa's hands then that is how it will be! We have towels and a bulb syringe ready and are finishing up the load of laundry with blankets.

And this being my first I'm probably worrying for nothing and he won't be here for another 24 hours!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,244 Posts
We are in the same snow storm here. I am doing all I can to will babe to stay put until Monday! I'm 40+3 and just hope she can hang out for a few more days.

Good luck,mama. I know it would be very hard for my MW to make it the 45 min or so ride here if I did. It's worse where she is..and I'd hate for anyone to have to drive in it! I'm a bit freaked out and so stressed about this darn strom
:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,564 Posts
HOly COW, mamas, what an issue to be dealing with!!!! I would let the hospital know as sometimes they have "four-wheel" volunteers that can come and get you when you need to go.

Be well, Em, and let us know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We made it to the hospital after our road was plowed just enough to get our little car out. My son was born this morning at 3:02. He is absolutely amazing and my labor was perfect in every way other than this storm! I'll write up his birth story soon.

Lemon Juice - did you make it through?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
Yay, em! Congratulations!
: Now you'll have a story to tell. My mother always says I was born in the middle of the worst storm the county had seen in 30 years, and their car died at the bottom of the hill, so she had to walk to the hospital at the top....it's a family epic.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top