Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice on kitchen water filters. I am leaning toward either a faucet-mount filter or an under the sink style. I used to have a Brita fauct mount and it started leaking a couple months after we got it, so I don't want that to happen again. And I am sick of using the pitchers, plus don't like that the water sits in a plastic jug all the time. Currently I am drinking straight from the tap, and while I don't think our water is "harmful" it just doesn't taste good. That's the reason for my search! Any experience with a faucet mount that doesn't leak or a reasonably priced under sink filter that works well? Anyone have any links or research? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I was looking forward to reading posts about this b/c I have the EXACT same dilemma/quest/project right now! I've kind of decided after talking to someone in the city water bureau that it should be something that is common and can be easily bought. Something with a big name that you know will be around. I haven't found much info, but I am leaning towards something like Whirlpool or Kenmore. I did find out that reverse osmosis uses a ton of water so I'm not getting one of those.<br><br>
You can request a booklet from NSF on water filters. It's kind of overwhelming to look at bt you can see if the filters are made in China, U.S., etc. I hope others post about this b/c I am sick of using our countertop Brita pitcher!<br><br>
Good luck, hope this helped a little!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
We've used a Brita faucet filter for years and it has worked fine. Doesn't remove the fluoride, though, so we will buy water for ds when he starts drinking water.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, our Brita leaked like crazy, and a friend told me they had 2 that did. Maybe it depends on what kind of faucet you have?<br><br>
Essie--I'll check out the nsf site for more info. I was specifically looking at a Kenmore under sink model. I agree with the big name idea, so the filters will be accessible. Also have ruled out reverse osmosis because of the water waste.<br><br>
Still looking for info/experiences.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts