Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it "safe" to give infants sips of water kefir? My DD is 7 months old and we started child led weaning around 6 months so she's had little food exposure at this point since her primary consumption is still breastmilk. However, I have given her sips of water and recently she tried some kefir that I guess she loved since she gulped it and got upset when I took away the cup!

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
I would. I think it's a good taste to have them grow a taste for. My DD started drinking kombucha at some time before a year old, not sure when. I never let it be more than a couple of ounces though.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I started giving my DS sips of water kefir at around 11 months old. He did just fine with it, even though he reacts to roughly half of the foods we've trialed. He's now 2 and drinks up to 6 oz or so per day.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I fed my son plain yogurt from the time he was about 7 months old and he never had any trouble with it. He didn't digest cow's milk very well when we first introduced it, but the yogurt was never a problem. And I just gave him kefir for the first time the other day and you would have thought it was kiddie crack. He probably would have sucked down the whole quart if I'd let him, and threw an outright tantrum that I wouldn't give him more than a half a cup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts