Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister in law just had a baby a week ago today.<br><br>
her baby has a bump like on the back-top-off-to the side of her head filled with some kind of fluid in it....its fairly good sized I could fit my hand over it but it didn't fill up my hand (I hope that makes sense!)<br><br>
I guess she had it when she was born but is more noticable now because the molding of her head went down.<br>
A nuse thought she was pulled out by vaccum extraction.<br>
Some other dr said it will go away.....I would be a bit more concerned!<br>
So I was just wondering if any of you have seen of or heard of something like this and know what it is! should there be a concern....or will it just go away like the doc said?<br>
much thanks,<br>
Penny

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Sounds like a hematoma, which is pretty normal. If the doctor's weren't concerned, then I definitely wouldn't be. It's very common with the vacuums, but my son had one because his noggin was stuck half in/half out for a long time.<br><br>
My understanding is that the only worry is that the blood under the skin may overwhelm the liver, which has to process the blood back into the child's system. So, when the hematoma is really big they will take blood tests to check on the bilirubin levels, which would indicate a problem with the liver. If they haven't suggested that, then I probably wouldn't press it and would just wait and see. As I said, hematoma's are pretty common.<br><br>
Ours was so large that we were repeatedly threatened that if it didn't improve we'd have to have him treated in a hospital. Luckily we avoided that.<br><br>
Sunlight helps, though probably diffuse for a little one. As do gentle massages to the area.<br><br>
Do some searches on the terms and see if they sound right to you. But if there's any real worry about it then she should certainly call up and ask.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts