Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious to see if we're above average/below average/average.

We're a family of 4 (and 3 cats, lol) using city water/sewer.

We are using 15 cf every month. Our bill is over $70!!!

Just curious what ya'll are paying/using. . . . .

BettyAnn

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
We are billed quarterly.
1st quarter (Jan-Mar) 9 units ($28 which includes a 5.30 sewer usage charge).
2nd quarter (Apr-June) 10 units ($29 which includes a 5.89 sewer usage)

One adult, one child, cat and dog. city water and sewer.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I just paid the water bill 10 minutes ago so this is fresh in my mind. We use between 6-8. This month was 8 since I have filled the kiddie pool a few times.

I pay 54.11 for 8 units. This inlcudes a diposal fee and Bay (Chesapeake Bay) restoration fee.

When I was cloth diapering 2 kids, it was always between 8-9.

Oh, and we are a family of 4.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Hmmm... maybe someone can help me read my water bill
Our bill doesn't report in "cf". We're submetered so it lists our actual usage. For instance, this month, the bill looks like this:

Service fee $4
Water Service Previous read 104420 Current read 108130 Usage 3710
Sewer Service " " " " " "

What does this mean??

We run the washer every day and generally the dw daily b/c it's full. We don't flush every time we use the bathroom and we really strive for water conservation.

Wanted to add, this past month, our water/ sewer bill was $51.46, our lowest since we moved in here 4mo ago. Still striving to get it lower though.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zack419
Hmmm... maybe someone can help me read my water bill
Our bill doesn't report in "cf". We're submetered so it lists our actual usage. For instance, this month, the bill looks like this:

Service fee $4
Water Service Previous read 104420 Current read 108130 Usage 3710
Sewer Service " " " " " "

What does this mean??

My bill doesnt report cf either, it has CONS and units.
Your usage (3710) is the sum of current reading subtracted from previous reading.
On my water meter the reading is a 4 digit number with decimal point = ####.##. When I report it I am to leave out the decimal ... so I wonder if that is the same for you which would mean your usage is 37.10 rather then 3710.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
We used 14,962 gallons last months. We are a family of 3 with a high effcieincy washer, water the lawn once a week (per current water restrictions due to drought - but what we usually do anyhow). Veggie garden got some water. Our bill was $89.54, including the sewer charge.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
~7.5 cubic feet = 1 gallon

if you're in gallons and want to go to cubic feet, multiply by 7.5

to go the other way:
cubic feet to gallons, divide by 7.5

(
I think I got that right, at work so my bills aren't here....)

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
We are billed quarterly. Last quarter we were billed for 15,000 gallons - or around 2,000 cubic feet. So about 5,000 gallons or 667 cf per month. However, I'm not sure that isn't estimated since these are awful round numbers. They may only read the meter once a year but bill you quarter based on your estimated usage. We have only been in the house 4 months, so I'm not sure if they are billing us based on *our* usage even.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
I don't know how to read this, as they go by units and not gallons or CF, so just cutting and pasting here. (Family of 5.) Total is water, sewer and trash pickup.

Previous Current Usage
1876 1913 37

Rates
Administration Rate 0.1174
Water Rate 0.0000
Sewer Rate 0.0000
Water Rate: usage over 10 units/30 days 0.1980
RTS Water Rate 0.1243
Sewer Rate: usage over 10 units/30 days 0.2640
RTS Sewer Rate 0.3527
RTS Waste Rate 0.0667
Previous Balance $ 40.29
Payment Received: $- 41.04
Balance $- 0.75

Water Charge $ 8.90
Sewer Charge $ 16.91
Administration Charge $ 3.17
Waste Charge $ 1.80
Internet Check Fee $ 0.75
Current Due $ 31.53

Total Due $ 30.78

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My water bill does not include units. I'm guessing this is in gallons? But I don't really know.

Prior Read 3063450
Current Read 3065450
Usage 2000
# days this period 34
Ave daily usage 59
Ave daily water cost $0.15
Average daily sewer cost $0.42

Total Charges
Water $5.12
Sewer $14.37
County Tax $0.20
Total $19.69

This is half as much as we have been paying for the last year. Now that we are in our rainy season, I shut off the automatic sprinklers, so they have not been running at all. This is the first bill I have received which included a full month with no sprinklers running. This means that HALF of my usual water bill is just to water the lawn!
:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Family of 3 (two adults, one toddler). We used 4000 gallons last month. DD is in cloth diapers and we do have a large vegetable garden (but I recapture water from the a/c unit and also reuse rainwater for some of that).

Our water bill is really the least of our worries--it's nothing compared to our electric bill (summer bills in FL are horrible!)

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
I actually have no idea. We rent the lot our mobile home sits on, so we don't get a water bill. Although it is well water, I think that it still comes from the city. The water is REALLY hard, dries out my skin, and dd's, and dh's, and if I turn on the hot water first, it tastes like dirty fish water (at least reminds me of the few unfortunate times I accidentally tasted my dirty fish tank water while shiphoning out water for water changes).

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
We used 7,000 gallons last month. Our bill was $25 for water for the water portion (it's combined with sewer and trash pick up).
This time last year we used 11,000 and it was probably due to washing cloth diapers. Dd trained a few mos ago.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't know how to figure mine out either. My meter reading is 1710 and my consumption is 3400?? No listing of units or anything. My bill includes sewer and water the total is $28.26. The cost of water is $15.82.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm fascinated by everyone's replies !

We used 16 ccf last month - according to our bill, a ccf = 748 gallons, so 11,968 gallons. The cost was $36.01 - wastewater is figured separately, and is another $52.78, so a total of $88.79. That's for a family of 5, washer & dishwasher run daily, and a small garden watered a couple of times a week.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.