Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. My name is Ariana, and I'm completely new here. I was referred here by a friend who thought I could get some answers from some women who might have had similar experiences to mine.<br><br>
I am not expecting, and not TTC anytime in the near future, but I've been thinking about it lately and wanted to share my story if I might, and hopefully get some feedback.<br><br>
I had pretty severe PPD after my son was born (he's now 19 months) that lasted for a pretty long time. I always knew I wanted 2 or 3 kids, but after my son was born I was miserable and not only dreaded the idea of EVER having another baby, but really questioned whether having the one I had had been a good decision. It hasn't been until very recently that I have started to feel back to my normal self and started to really be happy with my role as a mom and realized that I do still want more children in the future. But I want to do everything in my power to reduce the risk of having the same issues as I did when DH was born.<br><br>
When he was born, I felt completely distanced to my son. I felt absolutely no attachment to him whatsoever. The birth was a pretty normal homebirth, but I did have some tearing and bleeding. We tried to get DS to latch on as soon as he was born, but from the instant he took that first breath he just cried and cried and cried and wanted nothing to do with the breast at first. So we handed him off to my husband while I got stitched up and all that fun stuff. It wasn't until 45 min later that we finally got DS quieted down and interested in the breast. Since then he has been a boobaholic, but that's another story. lol<br><br>
Anyway, there are a lot of other things that eventually contributed to my ppd, but I do think that initial separation/detachment, as short as it was, made an impact.<br><br>
I had a blowup pool to use while I was in labor, but it wasn't ideal for me, so I didn't bother trying to birth in it. I have heard though, that babies who are waterbirthed tend to be more calm at birth. So I'm interested in trying it if and when we have #2 in the hopes that I can spend those first minutes with my baby rather than listening to him/her wail away in another room for an hour. I'd like to think that would really help with the bonding that was so absent with my first.<br><br>
Ok, so what all this boils down to, I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced a waterbirth after PPD, and if it made any difference regarding PPD. I know it's a long shot, but I just I'd throw it out there.<br><br>
Thanks ladies.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
well, i don't have the water birth experience, and i had 2 hospital births.. so maybe its hard to compare, but with my first i did have PPD and was separated from her for the 1st hour (she was in the room, but i couldn't hold her) then of course they had to whisk her awy to the nursery etc. etc. I really think all of that really messed up bonding and partly caused my PPD..(she was also colicy but thats another story) with my DS i insisted on no separation .. and my DS was totally 110% different from my DD .. he hardly cried at all<br><br>
so, while their births were very similar, what happened in the hours and days after their births was very different and their personalities could not have been more different.. and i think all that made a huge difference for me - i had zero ppd the 2nd time around ..i had this happy baby and no one took him from me.. little things can make a big difference so i imagine a water birth could only do good .. ..

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hugs mama!<br><br>
I had a waterbirth with both my kids and have had/have PPD with both. My second birth was magical and wonderful and still have ppd. Also with my first birth I had a pretty major complication that caused me to be separated from my son for around an hour yet I had no problems bonding or bfing.<br><br>
With my daughter she was on the boob and never separated after birth and I struggle bonding with her and feeling indifferent toward her. I am getting treatment for my ppd and it is helping though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts