Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a person who LOVES to be in water. I am not even a strong swimmer but I just love to be immersed, so I know the birth pool will be a fantastic tool for me during labor. Our new midwives have a pool they could bring over to our house and they said they have all the attachments, etc. we would need. We still have not decided on hb, but I really want the pool option. My OB told us the pool is excellent and we can use one in the hospital but we will be physically removed by 7-8cm if we refuse to get out.
: Some legal thing. And a friend let me know that the pools are not that big. Plus, if we do a hospital birth I will probably labor at home as long as possible.

Did most of you experienced mamas find that the pool was helpful enough during labor that birthing outside of it would be fine? Or was it just way better to have the option to stay in the water for the birth?

TIA!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I have had four water births (at home). Transition is the time when I've wanted the water the most! I would have been quite upset to have to get out. My pushing times are always really quick and I loved being in the water because it enabled me to change positions so easily and quickly.

The legal things are frustrating.
:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veritaserum View Post
Transition is the time when I've wanted the water the most! I would have been quite upset to have to get out. My pushing times are always really quick and I loved being in the water because it enabled me to change positions so easily and quickly.

:

During transition, if my belly raised up above the surface, the pain was instantly tripled. Getting *out* at that point would have been unimaginable. And pushing in the water was sooo much better than on land, as with my first birth: so easy to find a natural position (hands and knees, rocking back to a squat during pushes).

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I have birthed one baby in water and another I was kicked out of the tub at transition. Being able to stay in the water was so much better. However, it was survivable getting out at transition. In a way that second one wasn't so helpful to me because it wasn't a big enough tub for me to have my belly fully covered anyhow, so getting out wasn't that huge of a loss. If we are discussing choosing between full out waterbirth at home with a deep tub or a shallow tub at the hospital where you have to get out at 7cm, to me it isn't even a fair competition.... the homebirth wins out.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
With my first birth I labored in the water until I was 9cm. Then I was kicked out of it. I was making excellent progress in the tub but once I was out I stalled and a lot of interventions happened that I didn't want. I was in a lot more pain out of the water. I had a couple hours of really sucky transition with an impatient OB hovering over me wondering why I stopped dilating when she got there.

For my second (At home) Labor went much quicker and while my husband was getting the tub ready and the midwives were getting there stuff sorted out I spent most of my labor on the toilet. Once I started pushing there one of the midwives politely suggested that I get into the tub. I ran there in between contractions. I can't say that the warm water really helped with the pain this time because I didn't get in until I was already pushing. But it was so much easier to be upright and buoyant in the tub.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My son was born in water, and while I wasn't checked at all during labor so I don't know when I was actually 7 or 8 cm, I do know that anyone who told me to get out would have had to fear for their life ;-)
The water was just that good.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by srlpenny View Post
My son was born in water, and while I wasn't checked at all during labor so I don't know when I was actually 7 or 8 cm, I do know that anyone who told me to get out would have had to fear for their life ;-)
The water was just that good.
Yes, but replace daughter with son!

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
If someone tried to physically remove me from the birth pool at 8 centimeters, I would have bitten them. Hard. I'm serious.
I found the tub to be the most essential during transition and pushing. In early labor I didn't really want to be in it, but during transition it was a godsend. The relaxation, the warm water, and most importantly, the buoyancy. I was able to stay in this really comfortable position, sort of sitting back on my heels. On the land I couldn't have done it for more than a couple of minutes, but in the water I could find that comfortable position and stay there. And I was really happy to be in the tub during pushing. Gravity is the last thing you want to be messing with when you're pushing a baby out. Also, the way I understand it, you're less likely to tear in a waterbirth -- somebody chime in on this one.
I'm a big homebirth proponent and that's my recommendation for just about every low-risk birth where the mother is comfortable with birthing at home. But the hospital forcibly removing me from the tub at 8 centimeters would be a deal-breaker.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I dont think i would let the idea of birthing in the pool or not decide weather or not the have a hb. It not that huge of a difference. you are talking about 2 totally different experiences, and birthing in the water or not is sort of a footnote. personally, anyone telling me to move anywhere at 8 cm. would not be recieved well. plus, transition is when you want the water~ and birth~ to help your perineum stretch. when dd was born i was not attached to having her in the water, it was more like, i was already there, i could not stand up and step out and walk to a new comfortable place, so she was born in the water. honestly, i didnt notice a difference as far as pain or anything, but it is definately easier to move around because the water holds your weight. that big belly hanging isnt such a hassle, kwim? i dont know if my back and knees could handle birthing on my hands and knees without the water. definately messier if you happen to poo in there though....

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
For me birthing in the water makes such a huge difference. DD1 was a hospital birth, I supposed to get out at 8cm, my MW let me slide until I was 10, then I had to get out. Staying in was not allowed and they do and will force you out. Labor was horrid once I was out of the water, I had no pushing feeling yet so I continued to labor for a while. My next child was a HB and I made sure I was in the tub to birth, night and day difference.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I didn't get in the pool until I was 10 cm and feeling pushy. It was important to me that DS be born into the water for ease of transition to the world. I can't fathom trying to get out of the pool right before pushing.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These comments made me laugh! I could totally imagine trying to bite someone that removed me from the pool if I was happy in it! It does kind of seem like a no-brainer: hospital w/o good pool vs. homebirth with whatever I want. Dh and I and still struggling with the decision but after researching waterbirths I am SOLD on water. Transition sounds like the most important time to be comfortable so I guess it would totally suck to get removed from the pool!

Since I am due end of July and it could be really hot (cools off greatly at night though) and we don't have A/C, would a cooler bath work? Everywhere I read that 98F was the perfect temp, but that some people birth in the ocean, etc. If it was too bad, we could birth at the midwife's house with A/C.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post
Also, the way I understand it, you're less likely to tear in a waterbirth -- somebody chime in on this one.
I have read this, too. The water makes your skin softer and more pliable and are less likely to tear. Plus you are not working against gravity in the same way as you would on land.

I haven't had a water birth yet, but I'm planning one for my baby due in a few months. To me, getting out during transition is another one of the hospitals inane rules regarding birth that I do not ever want to be a part of. I want to be free to decide what feels best to me and not have someone ordering me around.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by penstamon View Post
Since I am due end of July and it could be really hot (cools off greatly at night though) and we don't have A/C, would a cooler bath work? Everywhere I read that 98F was the perfect temp, but that some people birth in the ocean, etc. If it was too bad, we could birth at the midwife's house with A/C.
Your MW should know about the ideal water temp. It's important that it not be too cold, because baby's first breath is triggered (I believe) by the change in temp, so you want it as close to body temp as possible (ie, close to 98).

Maybe a fan would be enough if you chose to birth in your own home?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
If you don't get out, and their policy is not to deliver in the tub... they will drain the water.
Yeah... WB at home for me. That's the sort of thing you to do a 5-year-old, not a grown woman. The thought... ew.

When I have a headache, I take a bath. When I have a backache, bath. Stress, anxiety, depression, fear, you name it and you'll find me in my bathtub. Warm water = happiness and pain relief. Why would I want to have that most elemental remedy witheld from me during labor? It would make a big difference for me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Quote:

Since I am due end of July and it could be really hot (cools off greatly at night though) and we don't have A/C, would a cooler bath work? Everywhere I read that 98F was the perfect temp, but that some people birth in the ocean, etc.
My ds was born in April, it wasn't very hot, but I was REALLY hot in labor so I didn't want the water as hot as I thought I would but I know that they don't like the baby to stay in cool water after they are born, they still need help to regulate their body temp. So when my son was born my mw had us get out of the water as soon as the cord was cut. Looking back at the water I was fine getting out, yuck

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by erin23kate View Post
When I have a headache, I take a bath. When I have a backache, bath. Stress, anxiety, depression, fear, you name it and you'll find me in my bathtub. Warm water = happiness and pain relief.
That's how I explain it to friends. If you have cramps, a warm bath makes it feel better. Just about every woman can understand that.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Quote:

Did most of you experienced mamas find that the pool was helpful enough during labor that birthing outside of it would be fine? Or was it just way better to have the option to stay in the water for the birth?
I am also a big water person. I've had three water births at home, and am planning #4.

I've actually found that the water isn't great for me to labor in, as it slows things down too much. I've always moved into the water to push though, and like I mentioned all my kids have been born in the water.

Having a tub, and being able to birth in the water is a deal breaker for me. I don't know if I'll use it as everything can change in labor, but I wouldn't choose to birth anywhere that didn't give me the choice.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Well, I had two hospital births, and used the tub each time.

At my hospital you do not have to get out - the midwives will deliver in the tub if that's what you want. I didn't go in convinced either way, just knew I wanted to try the tub.

I liked the tub a lot. However, I did not give birth in teh tub either time.

The first time, when I got pushy I kept wanting to get out of the tub to try the potty, and after the last time, I just didn't feel like getting back in. Seemed like too much work -- especially after my water broke and my contractions changed nature to serious involuntary pushing.

Second time, water broke in the tub and baby crowned instantly and I stood up in reflex reaction and then got irrational and said I couldn't sit back down, so I moved over to the bed and pushed her out there. Nurses did say "You don't have to get out if you want to deliver in the tub," but I was all "No! can't sit down!"

Both times, I really liked the tub for labor, but just wound up not feeling like being in it for pushing (not that there was any pushing with #2)

And despite the speed of #2s delivery and the fact she was over 10 pounds (and had almost no head molding - lovely round head!), I didn't tear with her.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.