Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you get yours? I got mine with our curriculum order, but since it's been trial and error in learning, I'd like to order more. We currently have Grumbacher's Academy Watercolors in Cadmium Red, Cadmium Yellow, and Cobalt Blue. I found them at Dick Blick's and a site called Cheap Joe's Art Stuff. The prices are comparable and shipping is about $7.99 for 3 tubes of paint. Might I be better off purchasing these at an Aaron Brother's Art Mart or similar store to save on shipping? I know that Stockmar also has watercolor paints...

· Registered
2,374 Posts
I got a small set of Cottman brand - I like theirs - from Michael's with one of their 40% coupons (it comes in the circular they send around here). But, for the kids every day use and immediate access I have cheap crayola watercolors.

I get out the good stuff when they ask, its just sometimes all they want is to paint a printed coloring page or something really quickly. Also, if we have a bunch of neighbor kids over and they get a mind to paint - I keep the good stuff aside.

· Premium Member
6,600 Posts
I like Discount School Supplies. The water colors are pretty vivd. I bought the water color set that comes in a round brick. The last a long time and fit into an old yogurt container.

I placed an order last august and we still have alot in the cup.

· Registered
3,185 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds View Post
Any other suggestions for vibrant colors? I have had wildly varying results from different brands, but am not remembering which were which...
:

· Registered
1,942 Posts
I picked these up after seeing the results from DD1's Monart class. I also love the name: Dr. Ph. Martin's Hydrus watercolours. We don't dilute them much... you need a bit of water to keep the drops from drying out too quickly. Note that the 1oz bottles aren't much more than the 1/2oz ones.

· Registered
2,911 Posts
From the Free Waldorf curriculum; homemade watercolor paints; "Cut the desired palette shape from a piece of cardboard. Glue a set of small plastic caps, such as soda bottle caps or spice jar lids, onto
your palette. Make the watercolor paints by first mixing 2 tablespoons baking soda with 2 tablespoons white vinegar in a small bowl.
When it stops fizzing, stir in 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1 teaspoon light corn syrup. Pour equal portions of the mixture into the plastic
caps on your palette. Tint the contents of each cap with several drops of food coloring or dye reinker and stir well with a toothpick. Allow
the paints to dry completely, about a week, before using for the first time; allow them to dry out fully between uses."

· Registered
2,478 Posts
I run an art studio and I love Prang watercolors and cake tempera which acts like watercolors (discount school supply). I use these because they are non toxic for the kids. Some of the adult pigments can be pretty nasty if the child gets it on their skin or in the mouth.

For me, I love Grumbacher.

· Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I especially love the how to make your own watercolor paints! Maybe dd and I will try that as a science experiment.

I've noticed that she's really taken with the vibrancy of the Grumbachers, so I was wondering if there was something similar. I remember receiving Prang's as a child, and they were fun. But I don't remember the same explosion of color from a disk as I do these tubes of paint.

FWIW, I just scored a set of Grumbachers from eBay... I'll prolly save some of the other colors and stick to using primaries with dd for now...

· Registered
391 Posts
I have always enjoyed using Prang watercolors. They are very vibrant and inexpensive and easy to come by. We also have some more pricey watercolors (plant based) that just didn't cut it and the kids don't like them (waste of money and we could have gotten four Prang sets for the price of one of the other ones).

· Registered
683 Posts
I third Discount School Supply as a source, but I highly recommend the *liquid* watercolors. They come in a bottle; you just squirt a bit into a small paint container and paint away. They are bright and vivid and my kids love them. I bought blue, red, & yellow, so I can make six colors from those three. This is a very enthusiastic endorsement!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.