Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just birthed my baby a 7:30 am on Tuesday Nov 21, 2006. He is extrememly mucusy spitting up approximately 1 tbsp every other hour or so. No suction was done after the home water birth since none was needed. How long should this go on and when should I be concerned? He has been nursing until he gets get cranky then spits up some mucus. I try to burp him to get the mucus out before feeding. Two good Meconium poops in the first 12 hours. Otherwise perfectly healthy 8lbs 19 1/2 inches sweet little boy.

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
My son was this way for a couple of days. The midwife told me that it was because he had such a quick "pushing" stage (I never actually pushed, he just came out!). My body never really had a chance to squeeze the yucky stuff from his head and chest, so he had to clear it himself. He would cough and gag, though...it was pretty scary! She showed me to thump him pretty hard between the shoulder blades, and that seemed to help him get it up or down...and I finally gave him a dropper full of water, which made him spit up, and brought a BUNCH of the mucous with it.

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
OH! And, Congratulations on the birth of your new little one!

and...Welcome to the World, little Hos!

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
My ds did that right after his extremely fast UA.

We called our chiropractor, she came and did a very gentle adjustment, and boom! Within a couple hours it all came out, and that was that.

It was scary tho...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
My son was this way for a couple of days. The midwife told me that it was because he had such a quick "pushing" stage (I never actually pushed, he just came out!). My body never really had a chance to squeeze the yucky stuff from his head and chest, so he had to clear it himself. He would cough and gag, though...it was pretty scary! She showed me to thump him pretty hard between the shoulder blades, and that seemed to help him get it up or down...and I finally gave him a dropper full of water, which made him spit up, and brought a BUNCH of the mucous with it.

Same here. I pushed for less than five minutes. My midwife said he would be more like a c-section baby becuase of the lack of thoracic squeeze on his way out. He got better after a couple a couple of days.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info ladies!
He is doing much better--I pushed for 45 min, but my m/w assures me that is sometimes takes a few days for him to clear all of the fluid out...he is clear now...just a few sneezes...
Just so excited about my babe and my birth!

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Sounds like he is doing better! Sometimes a little positional drainage can work wonders on a water baby. Just lie them or hold them slightly head down and they drain nicely.

Congrats on the baby and the birth!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts