Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first year packing school lunches. I have a nice porcelain cup with a lid for the lunch (my daughter never eats sandwiches so I have to give her cooked food) and a KK bottle for water, tea or juice, but I don't have something suitable to pack some slices of fruit, for example, for dessert, or some other sort of snack. I don't want to add another glass or stainless steel container, which will increase the weight of her lunch bag (already quite heavy for a three year old) and I don't want plastic bags, so I was thinking of wax paper bags.

I see they are available online but I couldn't find them in the grocery store. I wouldn't want to buy them online, because it becomes too expensive with the shipping. Did anyone find them in grocery stores? Do you think Whole Foods would have them? Thanks.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, great! I'll make a trip to Whole Foods then (it's not that close to where I live but reachable).

I have considered reusable cloth bags but I am a little unsure about the waterproof synthetic fabrics. I hear now that oil cloth is all-natural and safe for foods. I'm going to give them another look, though.

Thank you. I knew I could count on you, ladies.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
Traditional oilcloth is - linseed or some other oil smeared on fabric and allowed to dry. The pretty "oilcloth" options available in stores are completely synthetic.

My children started daycare when they were 3.5 and we ended up using a To-go Ware container for each of them. The hinge is something they can manipulate. For liquid-y foods, they each have a steel lined thermos. We began by sending them with a drink but they couldn't carry their lunch with the water bottle in it. Our daycare serves milk or water with lunch and that was okay for them.

If you live anywhere near a Japanese grocery or a store called Daiso, they have four ounce steel food containers that are perfect for bits of fruity or crunchy snacks and the containers are very lightweight.

Good luck!

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gmvh View Post
Traditional oilcloth is - linseed or some other oil smeared on fabric and allowed to dry. The pretty "oilcloth" options available in stores are completely synthetic.
Right. So it's very hard to know the difference, right? I don't want anything synthetic. If I can avoid it.

And I had completely forgotten that I have a Thermos food container too. That actually might be lighter than the porcelain cup I'm using right now, and also more durable. Thanks for reminding me of that. I guess I could skip the water bottle too, but I think she would be given water from a plastic disposable cup. Maybe I can just send her with her own steel little cup. That would make the load lighter.

And yes, I know the small stainless steel containers. I have some Indian stores around. I can check those for really small ones.

Thanks a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.