Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if sending anonymous letters through the mail is illegal? We keep getting them about our dog supposedly barking, but umm..yeah I'm home all day so I know she doesn't and I am pretty sure I know what neighbor it is, I was just curious if it was legal or not....

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't think its illegal, but you could always call your local police department and ask about harassing. I would say it falls in that category, and if you have a suspicion of who it is, that might help the police in an investigation. I would just tell them that it is annoying and you'd like it to stop, which is why you are calling.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
just curious... are you technically in the city of forest grove? 'cause i know an officer on the hillsboro police squad you could ask if you are in their jurisdiction... actually, you could probably ask him anyway. i'd call up the city hall and ask about dog related ordinances in town.

that's poopy. we got some "noxious weed abatement" notices highlighted by a neighbor stuck in our front door handle a few times a few years ago and i'm pretty sure i know which neighbor(s) it came from. it made me feel kind of unwelcome in the neighborhood, not a cool feeling.

~claudia

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
make sure your dog has a license first. my friends got busted for not licensing their dogs when the neighbors complained to animal control about the barking

(not saying your dog IS barking...just that if someone complains you might end up with a fine)

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Ugg I dislike neighbors like that. I have a neighbor that would call the code enforcement department here and would complain. I had 2 dogs at the time and it would have been a $500 fine for each dog since they didn't know which one was barking. The neighbor never came and talked to us. I finally went over to the neighbor and asked what time of the day, how long etc. It opened up the communication (I wasn't home at the time of the alledged barking). I know in Woodburn, if the person does complain, they have to sign a formal complaint before code enforcement will give a ticket. It would have been a nusiance ticket. A dog barking no matter how long or what time of day, if it's a nusiance to someone they can file a complaint.
:

About the letter, is it stamped and going thru the post office or is it being placed in your mail box? If it's just placed in the mailbox, then I believe that it is illegal.

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No its being stamped and sent through the mail, we have one of those communial mailboxes. Yes, Claudia I'm in Forest Grove, its sucks because now DH is being a total a$$ and wants to get rid of her. I called dog control and they said that if she barks for 5 mins in a 15 min period then they can call and report it, they have to leave their full name and address and I can get that, and then dog control sends out a warning packet explaining everything. But I have yet to receive one of those I just wish someone had the guts to walk over and complain, I would if I had a problem. And like I think Claudia said, it is a very unwelcome feeling, we are the only young couple with kids in the neighborhood so we get crappy looks already for having kids toys in the back yard and them yelling and screaming when they are outside....I hate that, if housing prices weren't so high I would honestly consider moving, but that isn't an option right now.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I so understand how you guys feel. We were so excited to move into a house a couple months ago and be part of a neighborhood. Unfortunately, our culdesac is more than half crotchety old people. Don't get me wrong - I love lots of older folks, these are just the grumpy sort. The ones next door already got on our case because we haven't magically transformed the yard that the last owners never took care of. Sorry if Ron is working two jobs and I can't work in the front yard with the baby. I have busting my butt digging out blackberries in the back.

Then they started to bitch because we have two cars we need to park on the street. We have four right now because my husband's work gave him a company car and my daughter has one. We have no curb space in front of our house, but there are parking places on the SIDE of theirs. Not good enough. So he parks across the street one day and those people really flip. The guy brings over all this literature with stuff highlighted on it about abandoned cars. Huh? And cars for sale and blocking the sidewalk. Huh again? They seem to think they own the parking in front of their house. So they call the police to report my husband's work car as abandoned!
And of course they sticker it when they see it is not registered to this address. I swear I considered moving too, but I am not giving up this yard. There is even more to this story, but this is getting long enough.

But get this great ending. We call the police and tell them this was a false report. They really picked a bad car since he has to keep all the mileage records. They are going to get a $285 fine!
Am I a bad person because I am happy about that? And I can't wait to have lots of playdates and other events here and take up even more parking. Don't worry - we already called to talk to the police about our drum circle. They said it is absolutely no problem since we expect to be done by 9. My friend Trish says she wants to go knock on their door with her drum and act like she went there by mistake.
She is a troublemaker who doesn't care that her neighbors don't like her. I wish I could learn not to care.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts