Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well even though the car is gone... so no insurance, repairs, parking gas we still are not doing well with the budget. So I told dh bring in more $ if you want to spend the same amount but useless spending to that amount shouldn't cut into the family budget for things we need, savings, debts etc.
And I don't want to be without a car forever so we have to start saving as well for that purchase atleast a proper downpayment.

So any ideas?
I suggested that dh could teach a night course, tutor...he's a computer guy but no ability for overtime at work.

I am taking my lifeguarding courses again so I could do that on weekends or nights and not have to get babysitter for three kids (ouch).

I guess I could take in kids after school (a full day child might be too much between the kids now) but I'd really need a car for that.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
pet sitting/walking
childcare in your home
ironing (I iron for 2 ladies from my home - they drop & pick up I make @100-250 a month extra for this)
some data entry from home

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow ironing eh?
I can't iron to save my life
so I guess if I did need it I would have to pay out for it...is that just clothes or everything and washing?

but mostly since its dh's smoking habit that is blowing 400 a month..sigh..
what could he do
what are part time jobs men can do?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol my mom is so like that she when they lived on a kibbutz doing the 60's hippy thing.... ironing that was her sole job outside ironing in the hot isreali heat for 8 hours a day she loved it.

that love is not genetic

·
Registered
167 Posts
Is there anywhere near you for clinical trials? They usually pay well and are on (usually) very safe drugs.
Not everyone can do them, but your DH might be able to swing a weekend one and they pay really well.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I tutor with Brainfuse www.brainfuse.com

It is web based tutoring at $10 an hour. If you kids take predictable naps, you can do it while they are sleeping.
There are quite a bit of hoops you have to jump through initially (an unpaid 3 hour training and 4 online quizzes to prove you are capable). But once you get up and going, I find it quite enjoyable.

Feel free to PM or email me if you want more info. They are always hiring tutors -- all you need is a BA and to pass their tests.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm putting an ad in my local newspaper today advertizing DP's services assisting with holiday decorations. We're hoping to make even an extra $100-$200 over the next 5 weeks doing this for the elderly in our town. He's also going to clean up an acre of land after a wind storm hit - rake leaves, pick up branches, etc. The lady offered him $100 for that. I think when we come into spring he's going to try to do more yardwork - mowing, mostly.

If he's a computer guy he could also run a small classified ad offering computer tech support, or contact some small businesses and let them know that he can help them fix any problems.

Definitely tutoring is a good one, especially if there is a local college.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
Your dh could get a part-time job at a mattress store. The ones around here pay a minimum of $100 a day plus commission for sales.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
drug trials are interesting I have seen the adverts but he's a heavy smoker so that usually excludes them.... lol

sales is an interesting thing maybe a job at a computer/electronics type store...but he'd want to spend what he pulled in!

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
I've been earning money going GPT (get paid to) stuff. Have you been over to the thread about it on the WAHM Well yet? If not, I'd be happy to help anyone figure it all out. I made about $500 last month - we wouldn't have made rent without it.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Yah, I totally think his smoking habit shoudn't come from the family budget... he coudl deliver pizzas at night/weekends, do an early morning paper route, part-time retail in the evening/weekends, sell stuff on ebay, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts