Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Elle (10 months) is on a goofy sleep schedule (her own) she wakes up for the day around 12pm and usually goes to sleep for the night anywhere between 1-3 am! I have tried EVERYTHING to change this but she just keeps getting back into this schedule. If I wake her up early say between 7-9 am she will only stay up for an hour or so and then she will go back to sleep until 12pm or even later. Then she will spend most of her day playing and sometimes take a nap of 1-3 hours somewhere between 1:30pm and 6 pm. Then she will usually fall asleep around 9pm but when she wakes up she wants to play and then she will stay up and not go back to sleep until after 1am. Right now it is 3am and she is STILL awake!! She is also waking at least 3 times in the middle of the night mostly just for comfort but sometimes she will activly nurse. We are both exhausted. I would like to get her on a better schedule at least waking up around 10 am and going to sleep by 11 pm or something more normal. Also my dh doesn't usually get home from work until 10:30 pm so I am thinking that maybe he is partly the reason she keeps herself awake?

Any suggestions? Advice?
Thanks,
Amy

* She just fell asleep @ 3:16am!!! FINALLY!!! I gotta go catch my Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

·
Registered
470 Posts
s That sounds tough!

The only idea I have is to perhaps try adjusting her sleep times more slowly. Instead of waking her between 7 and 9 you could try 11.30am one day then 11am the next and so on.

My DH often gets home from work late too and on those evenings our 16mo DD is really hard to settle. I think that your DD may well be staying awake for playtime with Daddy. What time does he go to work? Maybe there is time for play in the morning.

Just remember this is not forever and sleep whenever you can so that you dont feel to sleep deprived.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Perhaps the problem is the decreased amount of sunlight in the winter. I just read somewhere that babies who get more sunlight have better sleep patterns. You might try getting out every day and allowing sunlight to hit your baby's skin. Many parents cover carseats with blankets so even when baby is outside she doesn't get sun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.