Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of about 8:30 a.m. yesterday, Connor is officially and forever a part of our family! It was very quick--we didn't even sit in the lawyer chairs or anything, we all got called up to the bench and stood there while they asked dh a few questions, basically do you realize and accept that this is permanent, do you take full responsibility, are you satisfied with him, "do you promise to love him" (how cool is it that that is one of the required questions
). Then I got asked if I agreed with what dh said, do you promise to love him, and then got to state his new name. Then the judge asked Jimmy if he liked being a big brother (yes) and would he share his toys (yes). The judge commented on how quickly and easily he answered about sharing, that most kids hesitated. We also brought a 16 yo friend that is my mother's helper/babysitter (she specifically asked to go to court with us because it was important to her
)and she was asked if she liked that Connor was part of our family. Then Jimmy got to bang the gavel to declare it official. Connor, not to be outdone, wanted the gavel too, so the judge let him bang it as well
the attorney's assistant took pictures for us, and the bailiff videotaped for us.

We were in Ft. Worth, so we headed over to our favorite Korean restuarant in Dallas and ate a wonderful meal, where both boys charmed our waitress. Then we did a little shopping at Ko-Mart to stock up on our favorite Korean snacks and sodas, and we headed home.

Today, Jimmy told me that it feels better now that we have gone to court, because now Connor is really a part of our family and nothing can change that. He knew that Connor was ours from whe we got him, but he felt relieved to make it official. He has been really excited about our court date, but hadn't articulated how he was feeling about it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by queencarr
Then Jimmy got to bang the gavel to declare it official. Connor, not to be outdone, wanted the gavel too, so the judge let him bang it as well
the attorney's assistant took pictures for us, and the bailiff videotaped for us.
Picturing that made me cry happy tears

Congratulations!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Congrats to you. What a wonderful day - Finalization!

·
Registered
29 Posts
So HAPPY for you and your forever family!!!

I can remember our finalization day like it was yesterday. Wow I can't belive it was 10 years ago!!! Time flies when your having fun!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Carrie!!! I remember you from MOL TOO- and just found CherylAnn!

Congrats on your adoption!!!
- and we just finalized yesterday on ours!

Hollis stamped Anna's adoption certificate and Zobey banged the gavel- Zeda drew pictures the entire process as if she was a court artist! lol.

Very cool to "see" you here!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Congratulations Mommy

Our SW told us that the finalization day was no big deal since babe was already home.... she was way wrong! It is one of my favorite memories of Delany's journey to our family. We had several people there and took pictures of everyone with her!
I didn't get to go to court with Man's finalization... it was in another state and since his lifemom wasn't ready to see us yet, there didn't seem much point in traveling
So it was just a phone call... we didn't even go out to eat to celebrate and I forgot the date altogether both years since.

·
Registered
15 Posts
congraulations , i happy i hope for one day to adopt here in houston i just hope is it is not hard they make so hard but i will try to see how that works, i don't have any children been trying to concieve but interested in doing so i already send for infromation package so we will see I would like a infant or up 2 yrs but ? we will see,,,,, good luck best wishes that must be so nice !
:

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Erg...computer ate my message...trying again...

Thank you all so much for your hugs, congrats and support. It really means a lot having so many people cheering us on. All that is left for us to do is receive his birth certificate, and then file for a passport and a COC.

Azedazobollis,
Nice to "see" you again--I didn't manage to keep up with the many moves so quickly on MOL; IIR, we were out of town, and I missed one of the updates/addresses. Anyway, hi! Is everone doing okay on your end?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I loved our finalization hearings (we had two! One for me, one for my partner to do a second-parent adoption.) The judges were both so nice, and the questions so heart-felt (the first judge asked if I would help my daughter grow up to respect her cultural heritage, which I thought was a fabulous question.) I cried both times.

Just as a warning, the Certificate of Citizenship will come with a form letter addressed to your child from the President. Not sure what your politics are, but we had a good laugh and put it in her baby book.

Congratulations!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.