Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am trying to figure out what things are like there. I am a born and breed northern girl so this is a culture jump for me. If things go the way it seems my dh's work will be in Clemmon's - my bro & SIL live north side of Greensboro near airport.

We like old walkable area's. dd will be in K in the fall. Want a variety of restaurants - like ethnic flavors, museums, fun stuff. Presently we live in a large metropolitan area.

Help me be positive about this possible change. Educate me ladies.

Okay now it's official - we are moving to Triad area probably mid-summer. Dd's b-day is beginning of June and she really wants a b-day party with her friends here and she should get one.

· Registered
4,192 Posts
I lived in Greensboro when I was in the Triad, so I can't help too much with the Clemmons side of things. But, my suggestion on something to do would definitely be Old Salem. Educational, and fun! And YUMMY!

· Registered
4,192 Posts
Oh, and if your family lives in N Greensboro- then Country Park / Guilford Courthouse National Military Park are nice parks for long walks in that area. Courthouse park has historical markers, as well. The two parks are basically really one big park.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks -
Can anyone tell me any info about schools and possible early childhood PTA's. What you like to do there in the winter I am having anxiety thinking of leaving the north and the fun winter time sports to go south. I know that probably sounds crazy.

· Registered
4,192 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaprints View Post
Thanks -
Can anyone tell me any info about schools and possible early childhood PTA's. What you like to do there in the winter I am having anxiety thinking of leaving the north and the fun winter time sports to go south. I know that probably sounds crazy.
Well, if you move to Winston-Salem then you're about two hours from lots of skiing. The Boone area has several ski areas (Beech, Sugar, etc). The Asheville area has Catloochee and Wolf Ridge (used to be Wolf Laurel). Winterplace in West Virginia.

So, too far away from quick afternoon trips to go skiing/snowboarding/tubing, but definitely trips that can be done in one long day.

· Registered
20 Posts
Guilford County schools (Greensboro) has a history of horrible redistricting their school areas. So, be prepared that your daughter may start at a very good school one year and the next year she may be enrolled at one in another area of the county. You def want to research this if you decide to live in Guilford County.

I'm not sure about Forsyth County (Clemmons and Winston-Salem) schools.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this true even if you choose to go to a magnet school? Because that is what I am looking into. We still haven't decide yay or nay on moving yet. My dh is unsure about something -- and can't put his finger on it.

· Registered
20 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaprints View Post
Is this true even if you choose to go to a magnet school? Because that is what I am looking into. We still haven't decide yay or nay on moving yet. My dh is unsure about something -- and can't put his finger on it.
I don't think so. I think you just have to apply for the Magnet school each year.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I said in the my edit of the top post it is official - we are moving to Triad area. We are excited, scared and nervous. I thought this last move was our last move. Hoping this one will be a longer one at least.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.