Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every fall we get a pig and share it with the in-laws so we each pay for 1/2 a pig
This is what DH brought home after cutting and wrapping it :lastnight
7 roasts
20 packs bacon
6 packs of 5 pork chops
4 small hams
2 packs ribs
4 packs ground pork

Cost: $185.00
If all bought at a grocery store: $340.00 +

The farmer treats these pigs like his own babies, he gives them fresh cows milk, apples all fruits and veggies, and they free range all spring and summer, he even spend quality time with them

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
very interesting.

so, how does one go about finding pigs/cows here in town?
HMMM not sure if you have farmers in town ask them or aks butchers, GH know this farmer through his work.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
We had 2 pigs year before last when we had acrage. One broke his leg during a snowstorm and we had to put her down early as we couldn't even call a vet or go into town or anything. The other was done a few months after and they filled our huge freezer.

Then during a yard sale, someone went in behind our freezer (it was out in our shop where the sale was being held) and unplugged it. Oh my god. We didn't noticed until weeks later when we went to restock our house freezer and it was all rotten. The smell literally drifted over our whole propery. I actually stay away from pork now
But we'd still be eating on them had that not happened!

And they only cost $40 each plus the cost of food, which we got free from the breweries around here.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The farmer treats these pigs like his own babies,

I know what you mean by this, but the expression always strikes me as odd. I mean, we don't slaughter and eat our babies, do we? (I need a yuck/horrified smilie.)

Your farmer treats his animals like a real farmer does. Which is to say compassionately, but it's not like he ever loses sight of the fact that they will eventually wind up on someone's plate.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herausgeber View Post
The farmer treats these pigs like his own babies,

I know what you mean by this, but the expression always strikes me as odd. I mean, we don't slaughter and eat our babies, do we? (I need a yuck/horrified smilie.)

Your farmer treats his animals like a real farmer does. Which is to say compassionately, but it's not like he ever loses sight of the fact that they will eventually wind up on someone's plate.
How's those?

Ya good point why do we say that, when we don't kill and eat our babies. How about he treats hem like his own babies, even though they are going to be slaughtered?

·
Registered
765 Posts
gosh, things like this make me wish i had a big freezer. we waste so much money on buying small packages of meat because it's all we can fit in our tiny little freezer.

oh well. i doubt my family would eat enough to make it worth it, anyway. DH is the only one who really LIKES meat.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Thanks for the link! turns out there are several ranches/farms near us, and my parents have an extra freezer they wanted to give us anyway...maybe when we move in three weeks! Would it be weird to ask for a 1/2 cow for Christmas?

I've always been jealous of my sister and her DH because they belong to a farming co-op and get amazing freerange meats and delicious produce all year round, for about 1/2 what they'd pay in the grocery store, even after their coop membership. It's awesome!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
sehbub--We buy grassfeed beef from a farmer on the eatwild link (that's not how we found them). I endose the idea wholeheatedly.

However--
A 1/2 of a cow is a lot of meat. Around here a grassfeed 1/2 would be about $1000 too. My meat loving family (two adults, a four year old, and baby) have a hard time eating a 1/4 in a year. Granted we eat chicken, fish, pork, and veggie meals too. It might be better to start with a smaller portion say a 50 lb freezer pack or 1/4.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.