Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>We have two cats. We understand the male cat perfectly. Hungry, thirsty, wants to go out, wants to be pet, annoyed, wants to be left alone, wants to go to bed, wants to play, we get it. He can even communicate "Help, let me outta here!" really well - if he gets his dumb self locked in the basement or kitchen closet or something, he'll wait until we're in hearing range and hurl himself at the door, creating such a loud thunk that even my hearing impaired self goes "damn, he's in the closet again."</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So it's not that we're completely cat-impaired that we don't understand our female cat. I wondered if anyone might have any light they can shed on her communication.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>First, her personality. Whereas the male cat is bold and curious, the female cat is one of those under-the-bed cats. If she's out in the public part of the house, she'll kind of sleep with one eye open, always on some level of alert. She is very friendly, though, and loves to be pet. She does not like to be picked up at all, but she doesn't fight it too hard - just really does not like it. She doesn't get into laps. She doesn't get a lot of exercise. She's mama-cat fat. She was a teen mom and we adopted her from a shelter at around age 1. Very sweet. Gets anxious when the food bowl is getting low.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Now, her communication. She doesn't really meow but squeaks. She sort of sounds like she has a pack-a-day habit. But I don't consider that fact important to the communication, really. Anyway, she will squeak whenever someone comes in the room and sometimes she'll just keep squeaking and we have no clue what she wants. We'll check food - all set. Water - all set. She doesn't seem to be asking for affection because she'd come closer to us for that, wouldn't she? (Sometimes she does, she never gets into a lap but might approach us when we're sitting, though never when we're standing). The male cat will run to the door if he wants out, but she doesn't do that (and if we try to let her out she will stare transfixed out the door but usually be too terrified to actually go). Sometimes we talk to her and ask her in a sweet tone what she wants. And she'll just keep squeaking. Her whole body kind of convulses with the emphasis of the squeak. She kind of jumps. She seems really high-anxiety. Her eyes will be "urgent." And we don't have a clue what she wants.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have tried to follow her before when she does that, but all she does is trot or jog away from me. I figured out pretty quickly that she wasn't leading me anywhere, she was just anxious that I was walking near her.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Maybe she's expressing her alarm that we entered the room where she's in, and that's it. But wouldn't that still be sort of odd? She rarely enters a room that we're in, though sometimes she does - if so, she does so very quietly and she'll settle in a place where she can easily escape if someone were to make sudden movements or noises. But when this squeaking stuff happens, she is not cornered - she could certainly leave if she wants but seems to be trying to tell us something. We're not invading her space or anything, this could happen in any room of the house.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, maybe our cat might be happier.</p>

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
<p>It just sounds like she a quiet/unsure cat. Some cats are like that due to personality and living conditions (previous living conditions).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We have a female who wants affection but you have to go to her, she rarely comes to you. She also fusses when her bowl is low, grumps at the other cats and will run away from you when you have "invaded" her space. She cries sometimes but doesn't really want a pet, just letting us know she is there.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think she is doing fine. We have two males, and you can read them like a book. Maybe it is a female thing?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Our other female is wuiet and reserved but very affectionate.</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts