Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm 14. Last week, my mom and I were driving to the shops, and we got hit from behind by some idiot who was probably speeding.
Anyway, I went flying forward, and hit my head.
: Luckily I wasn't seriously injured though.

Because of this, I'm considering using a 5 point harness car seat, since it looks a LOT safer.
What do you think?
edit: All help is wanted, and recommendations too.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
DannyD is it? You are old enough to sit in the vehicle seat using the lap and shoulder belt. You do not need a car seat son.

DC

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyD View Post
Hi, I'm 14. Last week, my mom and I were driving to the shops, and we got hit from behind by some idiot who was probably speeding.
Anyway, I went flying forward, and hit my head.
: Luckily I wasn't seriously injured though.

Because of this, I'm considering using a 5 point harness car seat, since it looks a LOT safer.
What do you think?
edit: All help is wanted, and recommendations too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by romans_mum View Post
what is your height and weight?
I'm bigger then the limits that I've read, but I fit in the one I tried (fit as in I could jump in, do the buckles up).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallaschildren View Post
DannyD is it? You are old enough to sit in the vehicle seat using the lap and shoulder belt. You do not need a car seat son.

DC
It's not that, it's the fact that I went flying forward. Getting hit from behind and having your head whack into the interior isn't exactly fun.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Quote:

It's not that, it's the fact that I went flying forward. Getting hit from behind and having your head whack into the interior isn't exactly fun.
A car seat won't prevent your head from flying foward unless you strap your head to the seat with something that will withstand crash forces. Sorry.

DC

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hey Danny,
That must've been scary. I had a similar experience and it really shook me up. It's great you're trying to find a safer option when you're in the car. Have you considered riding in the back seat in the middle? That is where we put our baby's car seat. So even if you don't find a car seat that works for you, you could ride in a safer place.
Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamak05 View Post
Hey Danny,
That must've been scary. I had a similar experience and it really shook me up. It's great you're trying to find a safer option when you're in the car. Have you considered riding in the back seat in the middle? That is where we put our baby's car seat. So even if you don't find a car seat that works for you, you could ride in a safer place.
Good luck!
Thanks for the advice.

And to the other person, Danny will suffice. I wanted Danny as my username, but understandbly on a big forum like this as I assume you know, that want wasn't going to be fulfilled.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the advice.

And to the other person, Danny will suffice. I wanted Danny as my username, but understandbly on a big forum like this as I assume you know, that want wasn't going to be fulfilled.
But of coarse. And my name is dallaschildren. "That other person" was already taken. Pleased to meet you. I hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
Sorry about your accident, Danny! I've been rearended before and it sucks.

My (then 14-yo) son sustained a concussion and some nasty black eyes when he hit the dashboard in a head-on crash two years ago.

My 11-yo daughter was in the back seat, and sustained just seatbelt trauma/bruising.

I have to agree with dc - you're too big for a car seat. If you want to be safer, sit in the back.

How's your mom doing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by skellbelle View Post
Sorry about your accident, Danny! I've been rearended before and it sucks.

My (then 14-yo) son sustained a concussion and some nasty black eyes when he hit the dashboard in a head-on crash two years ago.

My 11-yo daughter was in the back seat, and sustained just seatbelt trauma/bruising.

I have to agree with dc - you're too big for a car seat. If you want to be safer, sit in the back.

How's your mom doing?
My mom was actually ok. I suppose she actually saw the person coming up behind or something in the rearview mirror, because she went forward, but managed to avoid hitting anything.
I was listening to music on my mp3 player, and didn't expect a thing, so I was caught off guard.
To be honest though, you shouldn't have to expect to get rearended. But there's just too many idiots on the roads.

·
Registered
409 Posts
You don't need to be in a "kids" car seat to use a harness (although I'm not sure about a 5-point harness). I have one in my stationwagon that could probably fit an adult. I wouldn't be compftable in it myself, but then maybe ask me after I'm smashed the dash with my head and I would probably think it was a great idea and start using it a.s.a.p.

Danny, I think if you can fit into a harness comfortably, and that is what will make you feel safe (and will almost certainly make you safer) in a vehicle then go for it. Good on you for thinking so pro-actively about your own safety. I totally admire you for that.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by seven_lux View Post
You don't need to be in a "kids" car seat to use a harness (although I'm not sure about a 5-point harness). I have one in my stationwagon that could probably fit an adult. I wouldn't be compftable in it myself, but then maybe ask me after I'm smashed the dash with my head and I would probably think it was a great idea and start using it a.s.a.p.

Danny, I think if you can fit into a harness comfortably, and that is what will make you feel safe (and will almost certainly make you safer) in a vehicle then go for it. Good on you for thinking so pro-actively about your own safety. I totally admire you for that.
Yeah, but he's a year away from his learner's permit and another year away from driving the car himself. What would he do then?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I'm assuming you were in a shoulder belt. If you were sitting in any way that would cause the shoulder part to be slack, it gives room for you to be thrown forward. You have to sit upright and back in your seat for your seatbelt to work correctly. If you were and you still went forward - it sounds like maybe the shoulder part did not hold you back - did it fail to work?

I DO wish they'd make 5 point harnesses available to the public more readily. I think they should be available in every make and model of car. Other than when wearing a skirt - they wouldn't be a problem for me to wear (and I don't mind if I don't get to wear skirts to be safe).

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, but he's a year away from his learner's permit and another year away from driving the car himself. What would he do then?

Some adults have to have booster type devices to drive. Like my SIL's Mother in law who is 4' 10".

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
Quote:

My mom was actually ok. I suppose she actually saw the person coming up behind or something in the rearview mirror, because she went forward, but managed to avoid hitting anything.
Hmmmm, that's interesting. 'Cause even when you see it coming, bracing for even a slow speed crash won't help much. I saw the idiot who was about to hit me, and instinctively braced myself. I'm pretty strong, but I still hit the steering wheel full force - and then I bounced back in the seat so hard I broke the seat back.

The guy that hit me was doing about 30.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Heh, you're one to think ahead. ^_^ As for the future, it comes when it comes.
As for the present, well it's now.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts