Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe she has a tooth already! I am so excited now I want to know how all of you kept your children from biting. I don't knwo that she will be a bitter since we have finally gotten her to stop with the clenching she may not but just incase I want to have ideas ready.

I called my mom and MIL to tell them that she has a tooth and do you know that both of them said well it is time to wean her then and I very frustratedly told them NO I am feeding her for atleast 2yrs maybe longer, now my mom didn't say anything but I dont' think my MIL liked the idea of that. Oh well she'll deal with it

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate_72 View Post
:

seriously, my 7 month old is biting, how DO you prevent it?

I had a nightmare that I had given birth to an alligator, who suddenly grew to 5 feet long and was chasing me.

LOL...that is a BAD dream!!! Briana is only 6 months so I feel ya and she has been clinching on my nipples since just a couple of months old.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
When she is sucking right she can't bite...when she loses her suction take her off, she will learn quickly enough.
When she DOES bite though, instead of pulling her off - pull her IN to your chest, it will make her open her mouth & you can move her without hurting yourself.

It'll improve...promise!
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
When she is sucking right she can't bite...
that doesn't make sense to me.
: I understand that when DC is latched properly, the bottom teeth are covered by the tongue and are not able to bite down on the nipple. but the top teeth are still resting right on top of the nipple, right? So, maybe you mean to say that they can't bite with both sets at the same time. (?) Because my DS is leaving teeth marks
: on my nipple the whole while he's eating and could bite in further if he wanted to.....

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
DS got 5 teeth in 3 weeks (starting at 8 months) and he bit down for the 1st time at 9.5 m/o. I was so shocked I pulled away (ouch he was still clamped) and as calmly as I could I said, "No Baby you don't bite mommy" and I covered up. He was upset that his food was taken away. I waited a few moments (about 30 secs?) and offered again and again he bit - I repeated what I did before. The 3rd time I was ready and I stopped him before he clamped. I continued the actions including placing him on the floor and saying a firm "no biting mommy".

I was also told to draw the child's face/head into your breast (for a second or two) since they can no longer easily breathe through their nose they will release the nipple from their mouth.

This lasted for about a week (and about 10-12 bites or attempted bites). He's not tried since and it's been over a month.

Check out KellyMom for more ideas....
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html

LP

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ellymay View Post
I called my mom and MIL to tell them that she has a tooth and do you know that both of them said well it is time to wean her then
I can't count the number of times people said that to me...

"Ohhhh he has a tooth? I guess you'll be weaning him then?"

My response: "Uhhh yeah. I'm going to punish my child for growing up. No thanks. We'll get through this phase too."
:

I pity the children who get teeth early and the parents believe that or get that advice
:

LP

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
ds popped out 3 teeth in the last 4 days (needless to say we are a tired couple now!) but i feel like veryone on EARTH is like, oh yeah so i guess you are weaning now! and they are all excited about it! uhhh..........no! hes just a little baby! it is so annoying, but my family in law are dumb anyways, they think i am extended nursing since he is over 12 weeks old!?!?
:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Here's what worked for me.

My dd would bite me, but if I told her "No biting mommy" and covered up and put her down, she would fall to peices, and that would break my mommy heart......so I figured out that if she clamped down I could press in right under her bottom lip and that would unclamp her jaw........does that make sense??? Anyway it worked for us.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DandeCobb View Post
ds popped out 3 teeth in the last 4 days (needless to say we are a tired couple now!) but i feel like veryone on EARTH is like, oh yeah so i guess you are weaning now! and they are all excited about it! uhhh..........no! hes just a little baby! it is so annoying, but my family in law are dumb anyways, they think i am extended nursing since he is over 12 weeks old!?!?
:
that sounds just like my inlaws they think that children need formula to be healthy
:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts