Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there... I have a 3 year old son whom is very healthy - never even had a cold, etc.

He was born at home, and has never been vaccinated. (Or poked, or proded, or medicated, etc...)

Today, a few little bumps popped up... in a matter of an hour I noticed between 9 and 12. They look like bug bites to me (not raised welts, but red in the center, a corrona of pink, and some with an inflamed pink surrounding area from him scratching). They are scattered around his body - not concentrated in any one spot.

He has no fever or other symptoms currently.

We are in Oregon. (In case certain things are more regional than others...)

Because he is not vaccinated, I suppose that I am a bit concerned about less common diseases that could produce a rash or bumps that I could be misidentifying. Could this even be chicken pox?

My question; what are some signs that I could be missing...? Or, what are the things that I should be looking for that means it is time to take him in to be seen... that this was not just a very hyper misqueto?

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Are you sure it's not some kind of heat rash? It's been pretty freaking hot here, especially for a kid who's used to pnw weather.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose that it is possible, but it does not strike me as heat rash. It just does not look like that to me. Right now it does not look like a rash at all, but a big game of connect the dots 0_o

If he had been wearing long sleves/pants I would think differently, I suppose... or if he just woke up this way I would assume they were spider bites... or if we were out with misquetos... They just sorta popped up in the middle of the day, however (???)

He says he feels fine - he is itching them a bit but is not overly bothered. No fever. Tons of energy as usual. Just as silly and crazy.

There would be a fever, muscle or energy weakness, or other symptoms if it were a virus of some sort, right?

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I see no reason at all to take him in at this point. Watch the bumps- pick one that you know where it is, draw a circle around it if you're not sure you'll check the right one again, and check in 24 hours. If it's chickenpox it will be fluid filled by then.

-Angela

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the reply. None of them seem to be growing/changing or fluid filled. Thanks for the suggestion - it will be heeded!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Best rule of thumb --
acts normal
no fever or no high fever
eating normal
Then leave well enough alone, docs offices are filled with germs...

Chances are it's just a rash. If the rash blends together and there is a mild fever, I'd say it's roseola which is not serious mostly infants get it.

Chicken Pox often times will have a fever and general crankiness, the dots become pus filled, pop and scap over (staph infection boils also fill with pus, pop and scap).

Measles has fever, sensitivity to light, and general ill feeling

·
Registered
855 Posts
My children's chickenpox started that way - looked like a bunch of mosquito bites. W/in 24 hours they had fluid in them and looked like typical cp. I called the ped to bring them in to document that they had the disease and the office told me not to bring them anywhere near the office.
:
:
: Like they had ebola or something. They said they would document that they had the disease sight unseen. It made me want to call a few weeks later and say they now had measles - could they document that too?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
They said they would document that they had the disease sight unseen. It made me want to call a few weeks later and say they now had measles - could they document that too? [IMG alt="" said:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/lol.gif[/IMG]
lol. I need to go to that office. DS would have "proof" that he'd caught everything!

·
Registered
936 Posts
My ds is not vaccinate but still developed excema. He gets the pimply rash like that you describe. If it doesn't develop in CP then maybea very mild excema?????

If so, you are looking at leaky gut syndrome. Try eliminating gluten from the diet and see if it helps. There is also other foods that might be a problem.

Just adding another possible reason for pimply rash.

·
Registered
946 Posts
flea bites maybe?
we had *a* flea once who bit my son 4 times.
(we've had other fleas too, sure, but my point is that it doesn't take many to get lots of bites).
they look like what you described.
my son doesn't react too much to mosquito bites, but the fleas are rougher on him.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, we still have bumps 0_o but they are flat and red, and have not grown. They seem to be itching like bug bites, but are not spreading, swelling, etc... nor are the 'bugging' him much. No fever, he woke up just as happy and silly as ever, and all seems well.

Flea bite? Totally possible I guess. We do have pets... have not seen one flea on them or in the house BUUUUUUUUUUT we did go to PetCo! So, there may be something to that... the bumps showed up shortly after that, and I guess I can see in my mind's eye a flea jumpin' into the stroller, etc... or just as easily a spider or something I suppose.

Yeah, I totally agree with the poster that said not to take a child in whom otherwise seems healthy. My son was born at home and never went in for a check up post birth. No PKU, nothing.

He had a doctor's visit when he was 7 months old because he had a cough that was mucusy (it was a cold September...). He had a slight fever. I wanted them to listen to his breathing and assure me that it was not pnumonia. Well, instead I was totally overtaken with critisim for not having him vaccinated, not having a primary physician or 'well checks' etc. Then, the doctor just strolled in and started touching my son without talking to him (or me) or anything. Just started manhandling my baby. I was pissed and made it known. My child did not have pnumonia, and by that point did not have a fever or runny nose either... just a slight cough. They told me that he needed ibuteral 3 times a day and this big facemask breathing machine thing... bleck! One doctor told me it was non-steroid, and one nurse told me that it was. They told me that my baby could need hospitalization if I continued to neglect his medical needs. I was so shocked... I mean, this was the first time that he HAD a medical need, so I brought him in. Why the HELL would I bring a healthy child with no concerns to a doctor? The insinuation of neglect just made me spitin' mad! They took no samples or tests, and could not tell me what the breathing treatments were treating, but they were certain he needed it.

I was pissed, never did the treatments. Two days later the cough was completely gone. My child since has never had so much as a fever or cough etc....

My second trip with him was MUCH better. We used a different physician. My son had been rough housing and playing, etc... He told me that his neck hurt, and was covering a small spot with his hand. The way that he was acting and describing it, I just assumed it was a surface issue like a scratch. The next morning, however, he was holding his head far to the side and the neck was noticably red and had a swelling. I took him in, obviously!

The doctor came in, introduced himself, was happy and mellow, and TALKED WITH ZION for five minutes or more before laying a finger on him. Asked Zion how it felt, how it happened, and then about various other topics from puppies to birthdays. He showed Zion all of his cool tools before sticking light up lookie things in this ear and mouth, etc. He never touched the part that hurt, but rather asked Zion to move his neck, lift arms, etc as far as he could comfortable. He told me what signs to look for as reasons to come back in, and gave his diagnosis:

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Doctor
You have been having entirely too much fun. I prescribe a day of relaxation and lots of ice cream.
(Turns out the neck was just fine - just strained it while playing. Next day he was a-okay!)

Two vastly different experiences, but both were as a result of me having a concern and taking him in right away! But a healthy kiddo? I see no reason to bring my child into the doctor unless I think he needs medical attention.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherHeather
They said they would document that they had the disease sight unseen.
I wonder if it was reported to the state?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherHeather
It made me want to call a few weeks later and say they now had measles - could they document that too?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi, just wanted to offer that I have friends in the Portland area who currently have chicken pox and it seems to be going around.

On a slightly related note, my dd has a rash that I would think was a heat rash (doesn't itch or bother her) except for the fact that she acted like she didn't feel good for the last few days and had a fever overnight one night a few days before the rash appeared... ? Not worried here...but thought you'd want to know what's around...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts