Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My dh grew up in Southbridge, Mass. All of his family is still out there in Sturbridge, Southbridge, Webster and Brookfield. We moved out to Illinois after we met while in the Army together, but since both of his parents got sick, he has been wanting to move back out to Massachusetts to help take care of them.<br><br>
I just had a few questions, mainly about homeschooling out in Massachusetts. We were out there for a visit in November and, I was told by my SIL that homeschooling is harder there than in Illinois. She told me that parents have to stick to the states curriculum. I just wanted to see if there were any other homeschoolers in the area, and what they have to do in order to homeschool.<br><br>
I would also like to know if there are any API groups in the area, because besides our family we wont know anyone else. And the kids have made great friends out here in IL, and I know they will be sad to leave them all.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
174 Posts
We h/s but have not heard about a state curriculum.<br><br><a href="http://www.ahem.info/" target="_blank">AHEM</a> has a lot of info about h/s in Mass.<br><br>
There is a Worcester area h/s yahoo group called WorcesterHEN.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I also have not heard about any state curriculum. Most folks I know simply submit a curriculum proposal to the disctrict and it's approved and off they go.<br><br>
I'm part of a group called the Merrimack Valley Homelearners. You can find it on Yahoo Groups...we have members down the I495 corridor towards Worcester.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool! Thanks! I just looked at AHEM's web page, there is so much info! I feel so much better now. Homeschooling was pretty much our only concern about moving back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts