Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need, but can't afford (credit card purchase), a new bed, so we're looking for our best, cheapest option for a good nights sleep for a family of 4.<br><br>
We're currently on an inflatable bed, and can't stand it for a list of reasons. It's our 2nd inflatable that did't work out. We've slept on the floor, but it's too uncomfortable. We've done futons before, but they're pretty uncomfortable, too.<br><br>
We're heading to Ikea tonight to look at what they have. I know they are muuuuuch cheaper than even discount mattress stores. Whatever we end up with must be practical for a family that gets up frequently during the night, large, comfortable enough for us to finally get the sleep we've been craving, something that doesn't make us feel cold (like plastic) and make us want to turn up our heat, something that will hold up for a while, etc...<br><br>
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I was going to suggest Ikea, so that is probably a great place to start.<br>
My brother got a foam matress from there, and I was actually quite surprised how comfortable it was. I think he paid around $300CDN with tax and got a king-sized matress.

·
Registered
226 Posts
We had a very old cheap mattress.It was well past it's prime. We needed a king size mattress because we cosleep and my son is HUGE. Sure couldn't afford to buy another king size. I ordered a memory foam top and a padded mattress cover. It made it feel like a luxurious bed. We couldn't believe it. The memory foam is not too pricey at overstocks or my mom got hers at walmart. I think it would do wonders for a futon.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think we really need to consider the memory foam. My 2 yr old dd would nurse all night, given the opportunity, but I'd rather be able to slip away quietly and save my nipples!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
What about the newspaper or freecycle. I've seen tons of beds for sale/or free. I'd just slip a mattress cover over it after I vacuumed and wiped it down with some sanitizer. When I was in college I bought my mattress set from the Blind Vets or something like that. It lasted through college and was comfortable. I regifted it when I left school. I think i pd $40

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>QueenSheba'sMom</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">I've seen a used mattress with bugs, and that has dissuaded me 100% from buying one used.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Oh gross! I guess that would dissuade me too. However, I think the ones from places like salv. army etc. have to go through a cleaning process to be available for resale.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I dont think this idea fall under "cheap" but it does fall under "doable". Its what we've done.<br><br>
We go to a furniture/matt/appl retail store that offers the "do not pay" for a year. Theres usually an admin fee of $70. We then divide the amount by 12 and make payments until it comes "due". Theres no fee for paying it off early, and if you decide one month that you need the payment for other things, you dont have to pay it. The interest is only calculated once it comes due and its not retroactive (but its an evil 29.9%).<br><br>
With it being a large x-canada retailer, we also end up with service on it. So the extra $ paid out for the admin fee, its well worth it for us.<br><br>
Just a thought,<br>
laura

·
Registered
512 Posts
I was going to suggest Freecycle. Also, check your area for discount mattress places that sell "scratch and dent" mattresses. Most just have smudges on them from the plastic getting torn. At times, you can get a king set for under $400.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Try some different futons. Do you have a futon store near you? We got a next-to top of the line king sized futon for a lot cheaper than we could have gotten a regular mattress. I don't like the really firm futons, so we got a really soft one. It also came with a 10yr compression warranty- no questions asked. So basically in 9 years we can say that it's too compressed and we want a new one and they will bring us a new one. What mattress company will do that?<br><br>
good luck!<br><br>
-Angela

1 - 10 of 10 Posts