Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a very weak upper body. i've found that regardless of the carrier style, i end up achy. i wore my baby all of the time until a few weeks ago when her weight versus my strength became more of an issue.

can any of you recommend some exercises that strengthen the back?

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
I , too, have a bad back. My problem is not necessarily weakness but poorly developed core muscles. So, my back overcompensated in ways it should not have and cause me all sorts of ache issues. What I did is to take yoga or pilates or get a dvd of one or both of those and do the core strengthening exercises. I was actually in physical therapy for back problems for almost 2 years after dd was born and this is pretty much what they PT told me: stop carrying the baby in a pack. I did not want to do that, so I got a pack with a hip belt, to shift the weight off my upper back. And, I did not carry dd when I was walking for exercise, only on special occasions, like shopping without a cart. I really wanted to be able to carry her around a lot but it just hurt my back too much. So, I compensated by snuggling her a lot when we were at home or places where I could sit and hold her.

The pack I used is the sutemi pack. I used it until dd got to 15 lbs when I could no longer carry her in a pack at all without pain. I tried some slings but they pulled me diagonally too much. I also tried the Kelty hiking pack for walking but it hurt my hips as it was too big for me. And, I tried a few other packs that friends had, all similar to the Sutemi.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Have you been to a chiropractor? I can't carry my kids in a front pack because after 15 minutes I can barely walk! Ugh. My chiropractor helps me out tremendously though. I can tell if I haven't been to her in a while because it becomes much more difficult for me to sling the kiddos.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perhaps I should have titled this thread "weak shoulders" as my shoulders hurt the most. Maybe this is a core problem as well? I haven't been to see a doctor becuase the pain goes away if I simply stop wearing her for 24 hours.

I've been doing yoga. I see gradual improvement with my arms (when just carrying her) and core, but my shoulders still feel like they are collapsing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.