Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 6 mos pregnant with my second dc. DD is 10 months old and due to severe reflux which made her develop a severe breast aversion, weight loss, and supply issues was weaned from the breast at 3 mos. I am not sure I ever got over it, I really wanted to bf as long as possible. The past few weeks she is acting like she wants to nurse and I'm not sure why. A few times in the tub she has just latched on and started sucking like she never stopped, and it has been 7 mos since she had the breast....(AND our bf relationship ended with her SCREAMING if I even came near her with my shirt off.) Also during the night she has been pulling up my shirt and latching on. What would make her all of a sudden start to want to nurse again? Should I let her? I am producing a LOT of colostrum already in this pregnancy so I'm not sure what exactly she is getting...I'm really thrown off by this and not sure what to do.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
if it were me and i missed and wanted that relationship with her go for it if you are comfortable!!! Not sure what would make her remember, is her latch ok? i mean no pain or anything when she latchs on?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Oh how exciting for you! I would be thrilled and doing a little happy nummies dance! My milk dried up at 16 months and I wish I had worked harder to keep it going. My ds (now 21 mos) still nurses, but just for comfort in the mornings. I plan on TTC starting in Feb and if I can keep him interested in the breast, I hope he'll start getting colostrum during pregnancy and milk once the new baby comes. I know that's ambitious, but I really want him to get more milk.

10 mos is so early to be weaned, and 3 mos...oh, you know what I mean. I'm not picking on you, just sharing in your pain.

Rejoice! Encourage it very gently and quietly. Love on her and hug her and offer nummies whenever you think it will be met enthusiastically by her!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
That's wonderful! You sound like you really just want reassurance that this is okay since you are pregnant. It won't hurt your baby, just make sure you get in enough calories to sustain lactation AND the pregnancy. Your baby is telling you loud and clear she has decided not to stay weaned! She wants her milkies back! That's great, congratulations!

Meg

·
Registered
71 Posts
have you talked to your doctor or midwife about this? i would be cautious to breastfeed while so far along in your new pregnancy. the nipple stimulation could cause your uterus to contract. in fact, that is how my midwife induced my labor with a breast pump. do some research before your dc gets back into the habit...

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Breastfeeding during pregnancy is safe for the vast majority of women. Nipple stimulation will cause contractions, but not send one into labor, until near term.
You might like to read this

OP, I am so happy for you! Go for it!
Tandem nursing is great, too. It can help make for a really strong bond between siblings.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I think it is great. Especially since she is only 10 months. I nursed my second son when i was pregnant with my third. He was older, but it is so sweet. Enjoy this special time.

I would not worry about contractions unless you have a history of preterm labor. Take care!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the support everyone! Well I can officially now say we are bf again. I started offering her the breast any time, and she is now nursing about 6-10 times a day, and at night too.

Question though.....I have started making milk again....when the baby comes what will happen with colostrum? Will I make it once the baby comes or not because I am already making milk? If I do make it how can I make sure the new baby gets and it and not DD?

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
Could be wrong, and please correct me if I am, but I think that the birth will stimulate the colostrum production. Then they'll BOTH benefit from the colostrum. You'll make as much as the baby needs. Just nursing one child each time my milk came in rather quickly. But any is fabulous. Did you know that some oncologists give colostrum to leukemia patients? Remember that your body produces made to order milk...right then and there for the need at hand. Do you know that for quite some time the colostrum is present in the milk in some level or another? Gets lower as baby gets older. Have fun. How wonderful that you both have another chance...!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Your body will make colostrum exclusively for a period of time after the new baby comes, but when the milk comes, you will make both colostrum and milk for awhile. Not sure how long, somebody else might come along who knows. Or you can go look it up on lalecheleague.org. Tandem nursing is not going to harm the new baby as long as you make sure she is satisfied first (of course!).

How tremendously wonderful that you've gotten your milk up for the demand and the nursing is going so well. How awesome!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay that is good to know that my body will know what to do, I wasnt sure. I am really surprised that my milk has come in so quickly, especially since she hasnt nursed in almost 7 months. Is it just because I'm pregnant?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
that's probably a lot of it, yes. I assume you weren't pumping during that time?
My guess is that your hormone balance at the moment made you receptive to the nipple stimulation and the emotional stimulation of breastfeeding. Good timing. It might not have happened earlier on. But every woman is different and some women lactate copiously through all stages of pg, some not at all, some dry up in the second trimester and start again late in the third. And it will change from pg to pg. Aren't you lucky?!

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Your body will make colostrum for a time after the baby comes. You also make it in the third trimester when you are pg. What a great benefit for your daughter! When your new baby is born, just make sure to put her to breast first, then your little daughter. You may find that your milk comes in faster since you have been nursing while pg. Enjoy this time! Take care!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.