Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 13 mo old DS, who is weaned from BF and now on whole milk, is waking up around 2 a.m. each night and crying crying crying until I give him another 5-6 oz. of milk in a bottle (he sleeps in a crib in his own room -- his choice, not mine). I'm worried that he's ending up getting too much milk over the course of 24 hours, but also under the impression that if he's taking that much at night then he must be hungry!<br><br>
I'm at a loss about what to do. Here are my options as I see them:<br><br>
1. Go with it. It's a stage. It will pass. It's teething. It's whatever. Let him call the shots. FWIW, he used to sleep through the night with no problem, and wake up happy and smiling.<br><br>
2. REDUCE the amount of milk he gets during the day so that his nighttime bottle won't push him over the limits of what might be good for him.<br><br>
3. INCREASE the amount of milk he gets during the day so that he won't wake up hungry in the middle of the night (or he'll wake up but I can be assured that he isn't hungry).<br><br>
4. Fight him on it using Dr. Jay or whatever cry-it-out-in-arms approach I can stomach. Co-sleeping isn't an option -- as much as I would love it, he won't have it (strange, considering we started out co-sleeping. Independent little bugger...).<br><br>
Any ideas?<br><br>
All of the other moms in my playgroup have Ferberized their kids. I just can't do it... I started crying last night just explaining it to my DH.<br><br>
Thanks, Rhonda

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Well, I think this could be a stage, but also, even though he may SEEM rather independent, this may be his way of showing you he still needs you at night.<br>
In my opinion I would not feel comfortable letting baby sleep in another room because at 13 months they are still babies and I don't think they can reach that level of independence yet at that age. My dd still woke up once a night for a bottle at that age (we have always co-slept, though) I would get up, make it for her and give it to her. If he only cries for the bottle, then that's what I would do, give it to him. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but make sure you take the bottle away after he drinks it. Also, have you tried giving him water in the bottle instead of milk? If he will take this, it is probably a good way to do it.<br>
And my advice... please don't Ferberize. Your child is still a baby, he needs you.<br>
My dd is 3 and although she coslept until she was 3, she sleeps in her own toddler bed now, right next to our bed.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Have you tried just giving him water? Maybe he's just thirsty.<br><br>
Depends on how much he is eating in the way of solids. I'm guessing if he's weaned from the breast he's on full solids, so maybe try making sure he eats before bedtime?<br><br>
If you are concerned about too much dairy, you could also substitute some other milk, like soy or rice milk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts