Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son turned 4 in September. I began to think about weaning him for a few different reasons.... He seems ready; only nursing at night to go to sleep for instance and only doing it for a few minutes, then turning over (but wants my boob on his back!!!). Then sometimes it's much longer.
I'm also pregnant, due in June. I thought at first, hey this would be great for engorgement, but by then he'll be 5 almost. Not really a big deal, kwim? But I'm thinking it could start up again full force rather than a slow taper which is what I want for us. I also want as few struggles as possible when the baby comes. I'd rather not have him get upset when the baby gets the boob first, stuff like that.
So, I think for us it's time. I was just trying to think, how the heck do I do this while still co-sleeping??
It's funny how things work. Usually when I have a dilemma or something to figure out I realize it will just come to me, things will work themselves out. Almost a lazy way out of things but it's true for the most part.
This week I got a really awful stomach bug and needed a lot of extra rest. What has ended happening is that I've been going to bed FIRST rather than us go together. He will come up when he decides he's tired and nurse a bit, and then I'd like totally not be able to take it anymore and tell him. He isn't happy about it, but rolls over anyway. Says he can't fall asleep by himself (lol). But eventually he does.
It's amazing to me that there hasn't been a fight about this. I think waiting this long has made it easier, just like potty training; it happens when the kid is ready!!!
So a few times this week I've gone to bed first, then he's come up. Last night he came up and I knew he wasn't ready to go to sleep yet. He rolled over and then decided he was going back downstairs to daddy. After that I fell asleep and woke up early this morning to find him next to me. I had no idea that he had even come to bed. DH told me that he had laid with him on the sofa and then announced he was tired and going upstairs.
I really love that this has happened on its own with no suggestion of my own; it's happening because he's listening to his instinct. How cool is that!!!!!
Granted I never actually thought about different bedtimes, it's just always been, I go to bed and you go to bed too. I suppose the test will be "You go to bed and then *I* will go to bed", but we'll cross that bridge later. I know with kindergarten around the corner this kind of thing sort of needs to happen. Whenever I see kids and bedtimes it just seems so foreign to me, like it will never happen to us. Maybe it doesn't need to happen???
But anyhoo, back to the boob. I realize even if he does wean there may be a revival once the baby is born. That's fine. For now though I think we're probably ready, mainly because I don't feel strangely about it!!
How did you all know it was time????
Take care,
Karen

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Congratulations. Sounds like a wonderful (on the way to) weaning.

I knew DD was ready to wean when she said she "couldn't" nurse any more and so, didn't want to. (she said she couldn't get milk, even when milk was streaming out
). We went to Build a Bear and got matching pigs
It was probably close to another year and a half the last time she asked to nurse (to try), sometimes she would try a few times a month, other times a whole month would go by. Now, though, at almost six I am fairly certain she is *really* done--- I don't think she has enven wanted to try for a second since the summer.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I think also that the gradual way of weaning is the easier way.

Mine is 5 now & is weaned I think.She has to hold it at times to go to sleep-she also wanted to feel it on her back-LOL.

I think you know it is time when you both forget about it & end up substituting other things instead of nursing.
Congrats on the new babe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.