Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 15.5 month old son is allergic to milk, wheat, eggs, and peanuts. He is intolerant to dairy, soy, and possibly rice. I'm pregnant, sick, and can't handle the restricted diet throughout this pregnancy. I need to wean him.<br><br>
I'm looking for milk alternatives. We are currently trying hemp milk, which he is drinking, but I worry it's causing him to have looser bm's and diaper rash. It's that or my breastmilk is changing, which is possible too. He's down to 2-3 nursing sessions a day.<br><br>
Our allergist cautioned against almond milk b/c of his peanut allergy but they aren't even the same food families. She suggested no tree nuts until he is 3.<br><br>
Are there any other alternatives if the hemp milk doesn't work out? Anyone have experience with hemp milk? I worry that he isn't getting enough of the necessary nutrients (fat for brain development, calcium).<br><br>
Any thoughts or advice? Thank you!

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
What else is he eating. You could make up the fat in other places, besides the milk. And make sure he's eating well balanced solid wise. There's homemade formulas you can do as well.<br><br>
I believe that the problem with peanuts and tree nuts is the possibility of cross contamination and that's why people are told to avoid all nuts, when allergic to any.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Turtle Mountain coconut milk beverage is yummy, and has lots of good fats for little ones.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I am glad you asked this. I am not weaning, but was curious if it was okay to occasionally give dd2 (who is 8 months and intolerant to dairy, gluten and soy if I comsume a lot) some rice milk now and then. She used to be intolerant to soy too plus I keep reading alot of controversial stuff so I am avoiding soy milk.<br><br>
Over the summer I plan to wean us down to just 3 or 4 feedings a day max because I will go back to school in the fall. I am aware of the lack of fat and protein in alternative milks. But as long as I make sure she gets these from other sourses we should be okay right? Right now I rely on avocado, tahini, egg yolk and olive oil as fat and protein sources. I also give her millet baby food, which I believe has complete protein. Next month I will add in some legumes as well. She still nurses on average 8 times in 24 hours.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My son drinks soy milk, but we also love Silk's Almond milk. I have not tried coconut milk as it is very expensive.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
There is coconut milk, most grocerys stores here carry it. Silk has a version. Also there is oat milk, if you can find it. DD liked it alot and it has alot of callories. But the hemp milk has the most callories and good fats and omegas that i have found.<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
soy milk is bad stuff, esp for boys, bc of phytoestrogen.<br><br>
i would never give rice milk to an 8mo, even every now and then. if you cant/wont give a fulls days worth of breastmilk, you must use some type of formula at least until 12 mos, preferably 24mos.<br><br>
OP, have you tried goat milk? it is much easier to digest than cows milk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts