Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this? Obviously not while you have mastitis...

I am awake at 1:30 am with a huge breast lump not able to sleep because I can't stop thinking of how we will get through another bout of mastitis...both financially and physically.

I don't want to wean, and it would be so incredibly hard on my 14 month old who is boob crazy.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
How long has this been going on for? If it's a recent occurance, has anything changed? Is the mastitis always in the same place?

A few things to try depending on your situation, I'll throw them out here and you can accept or reject them as need be:

-bra creating pressure?
-sleeping on your stomach?
-is baby with you through the night? (I'd suggest this if they need more frequent emptying)
-get deffensive: at first sign of clogging duct take a hot shower and express all that you can, remove sugar and caffein from your diet, eat more garlic to help fight infection or keep it from occuring
-at first sign of a clog, line baby's nose up with the clog while nursing (this may take some creative maneuvering) to drain it specifically
-how about topical treatments like cabbage? or I think I heard raw potatoes cut in half for mastitis somewhere

I've made it through 3 bouts of terrible mastitis without any medication and treating it as listed above. With mine, it was because I was away from DS for too long and slacked on pumping.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I had recurrent mastitis in my left breast from when DD was about six months till she was about ten months old. It was really annoying and painful and scary. But we ended up pushing through and after a while it sort of tapered off, and I'm glad we didn't wean. I haven't had so much as a plugged duct in many months now. If you're looking for encouragement to continue then I say, use us as a success story. However, if you're looking for permission to quit, then I say mastitis is a potentially serious enough reason to quit the relationship if you feel your health is really threatened, and if all avenues of relief are exhausted, it's a reason to quit that you shouldn't feel guilty about. One or two plugged ducts? Easily worked through. Recurrent mastitis... not so easily worked through.

All the best.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
How frustrating to keep dealing with mastitis!

Have you seen the LLL info page on recurrant mastitis here?

Esp. this item: "eliminating saturated fats from the diet and taking one tablespoon of lecithin per day can lead to improvement for women with a history of plugged ducts and/or mastitis"

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I almost weaned DD at 6 weeks old bc of recurrent mastitis. I started taking lecithin capsules twice/day and haven't had a recurrence since. Mastitis is so awful and debilitating - especially when trying to care for a little one. Hugs to you! Please try the lecithin - it's made all the difference for me and I will continue to take it until I do wean my baby. I'm so glad I didn't stop over mastitis though.

Cindy

·
Registered
462 Posts
I also recommend lecithin. I had issues with recurrant mastitis which would almost immediately devolve into abcesses. Lecithin was a life saver. Once I started taking it daily, no more mastitis for me. Hope you can find something that works!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts