Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD is 22 months. I'm about 10 weeks along, now, and I think my milk is already gone. For the past two weeks, we tried nightweaning, but it was a total disaster. She would sleep for about 2 hours, be awake for 2 hours, sleep for 2 hours, awake 2 hours with no progress being made. We tried everything. She doesn't respond to any kind of physical comforting. Anyways, we gave that up and went back to nursing. Last night, she was awake every 45 minutes or so asking to nurse, which is what she started doing when I got pregnant that prompted the nightweaning attempt.

If you nightweaned/weaned or your child weaned herself/himself during pregnancy, what did it look like? I bought the book Adventures in Tandem Nursing, which is really wonderful. I was hoping that DD would nightwean herself when my milk dried up, but so far, the opposite has been happening. She nurses more often. Is there still hope that DD will stop nursing at night? Also, I don't want to nurse two babes at night, but I've got a long way to go before I start worrying about that. Now, I just want to get some sleep.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I'm going through the same thing. I really don't want ds to wean though, I feel he's way too young! I nursed a child through my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies, and then tandemed afterward. The older kids didn't seem that bothered by the lack of milk and just kept going, but my almost-21 month old is really frustrated.

I'm sorry I don't have any advice. I'm trying to figure out what to do myself. Last night he cried and cried, wanting to go to sleep but also telling me that he was hungry. He has always nursed to sleep, but without much milk now, it wasn't doing it for him. I offered lots of different foods, and he turned them all down until I said "Milk?" So he drank some cow's milk, and then he nursed for a minute, and then he was asleep. I felt terrible and like I am failing him as a mother. He's just too little, and this pregnancy was unplanned.
mecry.gif

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
hug2.gif
I'm 15 weeks and while I do still have some milk, it has definitely diminished. It was quite painful to nurse until about 11ish weeks when it seemed to decrease some. Now it's back with a vengeance... this time it's not only painful, but it feels icky. He laps at my nipple and drives me up the wall. I've had to take him off and put him down b/c I'm freaking out inside. Not fun. We did manage to nightwean, though and that has been a great relief.

Nightweaning is so individual... my older dd was very difficult to nightwean when I wanted to (18 months). She would cry and cry and take forever to go back to sleep without nursing. I would rock her, sing to her, offer her water, snuggle her, walk with her, etc. etc. but it was a battle every night. Once she reached 2 years old, however, she nightweaned all on her own- like a switch had gone off. My son (now 17 months) was a breeze to nightwean. I stopped all nursing in the bed and started nursing him to sleep on the couch instead. I offered him a snack and water just before that. We had zero issues. He allowed me to snuggle him back to sleep without even picking him up. He doesn't sleep through the night yet, but I can easily get him back down without nursing by just laying him back down and putting my hand on him or holding his hand. So you can see- very different experiences from dd to ds.

Have you looked into the Jay Gordon nightweaning method? It could be helpful. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I just went through this with my 22mo. I'm 16 weeks pregnant and my milk has been pretty much gone since 12-13 weeks. It's taken the last several weeks to remember to feed her a snack before bed. We had many nights were she nursed and nursed and then got frustrated because of hunger. Now she's eating much more during the day, it just takes a while for babies to adjust.

However, she still wakes up 3-4 times at night to nurse. I plan on night-weaning in the next few months, certainly before the new baby comes. I don't really have a great plan for night weaning, except let my DH handle it. We'll see how it goes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula's Mom View Post

I'm going through the same thing. I really don't want ds to wean though, I feel he's way too young! I nursed a child through my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies, and then tandemed afterward. The older kids didn't seem that bothered by the lack of milk and just kept going, but my almost-21 month old is really frustrated.

I'm sorry I don't have any advice. I'm trying to figure out what to do myself. Last night he cried and cried, wanting to go to sleep but also telling me that he was hungry. He has always nursed to sleep, but without much milk now, it wasn't doing it for him. I offered lots of different foods, and he turned them all down until I said "Milk?" So he drank some cow's milk, and then he nursed for a minute, and then he was asleep. I felt terrible and like I am failing him as a mother. He's just too little, and this pregnancy was unplanned.
mecry.gif

·
Registered
188 Posts
I weaned my little one at the beginning of this pregnancy. I still had plenty of milk, and my nipple pain was worsening, but frankly I weaned her because the nursing relationship wasn't working for either of us anymore. I also was starting to remember how my pregnancy-related disabilities would make night-nursing not possible. It may sound crazy, but I waited to wean her according to the farmer's almanac's "best days to wean". I figured it wouldn't hurt to try then as opposed to any other time. I psyched her up in the days preceding so that it wouldn't be a shock when I said no. When it came right down to it I said "we're not gonna do that anymore" and I gave her some rice milk. She looked sad but slept through the night, and our relationship has been much better since then. I think she was ready even though it wasn't her chosen time...

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
DD has nightweaned (and possibly weaned altogether) during this pregnancy, but she's a bit older (I'm full-term now, she's 3 years 3 months), so that made it way easier. I definitely led the process - nursing was painful, I wanted to transition her to a big-girl bed in our room well before the baby arrived, and I just plain needed more sleep. It wasn't traumatic for her - she's used to "snuggles" now. I stopped nursing her altogether a few weeks ago when I had the flu - at the time I wasn't sure if we'd take it up again once I was feeling better, but frankly she's fine without milks (she was down to one side every 24 hours anyway), and I don't have any particular yen to tandem-feed, and it just seems like the simplest solution. She occasionally asks for "Milks or snuggles?", and when I say "Snuggles" seems perfectly content with that. I've told her my milks want a tiny rest before the baby's born, and she seems to accept that.

I imagine it'd be much harder at 22 months, though. :( You have my sympathies! Do you have a specific routine you do instead of nursing - like snuggles, reading books or whatever? Something she really loves?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.