Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three children, ages 7, 5 and just turned 2. All together I have been pregnant or nursing for 8 years!

My oldest weaned naturally at two shortly after the birth of his younger brother (right after the milk came in). My middle son went to 2 1/2, but with light encouragement weaned after I got pregnant with #3. I remembered the pain of nursing through pregnancy before and didn't want to repeat that, plus he was old enough.

I am approaching my 40th birthday. I have never had a mammogram, I have other health issues that my doctor is waiting for me to wean to put me on meds for, and I am overweight. My little one shows zero signs of slowing, much less stopping!

I have never had to actually "wean." It was totally a natural process and I loved that. By this age, both my older two were down to once or twice a day for a few minutes only. My baby asks for it repeatedly throughout the day, nurses before bed and once in the morning (he does, usually, sleep through the night at least). I really don't want this to be a painful process for either of us, but I feel like it is time to start. When we are out, I have tried telling him we only have "nana" at home, but he is very insistent and will get very vocal, try to pull my shirt up, etc. At home I try distraction, with limited results.

So question #1 is does anyone have any BTDT advice for me? He is super attached to it, and I guess I am willing to go a few more months, but I don't want to be doing this at 3.

The other question is has anyone gone this long always pregnant/nursing? What did it feel like when you finally weaned? What did it do to your body? your mental state? I am worried about the hormones and how I will feel. But at the same time, I wonder what it will feel like to have my body back and if that will improve my overall health? With my first son I BF and couldn't gain any weight. It was wonderful! But with #2 and #3 it has been the opposite. Curiously, in the few months of pregnancy with #3 after I weaned #2, I didn't gain much weight at all. It made me wonder whether I am one of those people who hang onto extra weight when I am nursing (at least with the second two kids) and if that will help me now when I am finally done for good.

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I had 3 children and nursed for 10 years. I had a small break. I guess I was pregnant or nursing about 12 years.

It sounds like you might not be ready to wean right now. Almost all medical conditions can be treated without weaning. There are very few drugs that are contraindicated for breastfeeding mothers. You can have a mammogram while breastfeeding.

You don't want to wean until your child is 3. It's common for moms to think they won't nurse until a certain age and the age comes and nursing doesn't seems so bad. I think its best if weaning is gradual and when you look back you can't really remember when and how weaning happened.

It didn't seem like a big difference to have my body back since it was gradual. The hormones change gradually and it isn't a big difference. Weaning probably won't help you loose weight unless nursing makes you extra hungry and you eat extra stuff.

I hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.