Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently weaned my daughter after nursing her for 1 1/2 years. I don't remember having any problems after weaning my first daughter, but this time I just don't feel like myself. I keep finding stuff online about "how to wean your child" and "what's going on with your child", but can't find anything on what happens to the mother after weaning.

Before I ever had children my bra was a B cup. After having children I went up to a C cup, but suddenly after weaning 3 weeks ago, I can't even fill out an A cup. I've lost my breasts, and I just don't know what's going on. And now my period is a week late. My husband has been overseas for several months, so there's no possible chance of me being pregnant. My period has always been regular and on time, so it being this late is very strange. And I feel very emotional and just not really myself. Help, I feel like I'm all alone here. Has anyone else gone through this or does anyone have any suggestions as to what's happening to me?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Maybe your body is protesting your weaning your daughter prematurely. I suggest resuming breastfeeding.

This probably should have been posted in a different forum. This is the "child-led weaning forum" and 1 1/2 is an unusually early age for a child to wean him/herself.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Well while I agree it could have been in a better forum it IS this mamas first post and htis is a huge place so as for the actual question-

I would guess it's normal. Between all the hormone changes with weaning and the stress of having your husband overseas and 2 little kids, I have a hard time imagining you Wouldn't see changes. Hormone changes and stress can both effect your periods, it's definitely normal for breasts to change again after weaning (what is, a year htey say for your body to get back to a baseline after weaning? regardless of who leads it?)

I'd suggest though that you post over in the main breastfeeding forum or nursing after infancy(or nursing toddlers, or whatever it's called) because this is for child-led weaning, so not maybe the most appropriate place for a question about momma led weaning.

In any case congrats on nursing so long, it's a lot more than most people do in the states, and welcome to MDC.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
My sister went from a D cup to an A cup after nursing. My mom thought she had a breast reduction, but she didn't I know that there is a physiological explanation for the reduction in breast size, but i can't remember it right now.
The late period is probably just your hormones adjusting.
Amy

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
I'm going to move this to Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy, where we have some fabulous "been there, done that" mamas!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Yep, my mom's breasts went way down in size after she was finished nursing (not between us kids, b/c I was still nursing until 4 when my brother self-weaned at 2, but after she was totally done)...it's just one variation of normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts