Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this last week my 28 mth old son has gone from being a mad nurser to selective nursing. It's funny because for 5 months he was nursing like he was a newborn again and now he nurses maybe 4 times a day.<br><br>
What are the signs of weaning? How do you know when your child really chooses to wean?

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I think these are normal steps in nursing.<br><br>
First aound 9-15 months many kids slow way down, they are so busy exploring and walking that sitting on mom's lap is the last thing they want to do.<br><br>
The most of us find out that that time from about 18 months to 2 years, so many kids nurse nonstop, we would swear we have newborns again. It is also a time of clingyness and pulling back to mom in general.<br><br>
Somewhere after 2 most fall into a more spread out pattern. Is this the start of weaning? I think that weaning starts when you start giving solids, at that point they are starting to wean off of breastmilk. Does it mean he will stop soon? No. For one, he is a very effiecient nurser. If he is nursing 4 times a day for as long as he wants (or at least a 5-10 minutes), he could easily be getting 20 or 30 oz of milk a day. He probably isn't ready to give that up soon. And though he may never nurse like a newborn again-except for during an illness or stress- many children go for years only nursing once or twice by the time they are 3 or 4 or 5.<br><br>
For my children weaning has been very gradual. At two they might nurse several times a day, at three they might nurse two or three times a day, at 4 they might nurse at bedtime, then only 3 or 4 nights a week, then only weekly or even monthly for a while before not asking again.<br><br>
Sure some kids do just stop, but slowing down at this age is normal. And it sounds to me like he will probably make it to 2 1/2, which is my lowest age of weaning. Not that I wouldn't be upset if they weaned that early, just I wouldn't feel like they were missing something important to thier developement.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
My ds went abruptly from 4-5 to 1-2 and then quickly down to one nursing a day. But I can tell you that after a few months of this, just because they change from one level to another quickly doesn't mean it will continue. In fact he has weeks where he nurses more often, after many weeks of nursing only once a day. Yesterday, he nursed 3x for the first time in maybe 5 months!!!<br><br>
I think my ds will be one of those that weans slowly, in a one step forward, two steps back fashion - doesn't nurse for days then comes back, nurses again, stops for a bit, comes back a week later, etc. I don't expect to really know the last day he ever nurses, til long after it's happened and I can look back and say, "Hey, he hasn't nursed for a month or two!" :LOL

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't see him weaning at 2 1/2. This boy loves his milkers wayyyyy to much for that. What worries me is that with my supply issues I may run out of milk for him with his decreased nursing. We've been down the road of him shouting "more milk". I'm planning to keep an eye on things and break out the fenugreek if needed. Regardless of how many times a day he nurses his longest sessions are at/during the night and in the morning. The can be anywhere from 30-45 minutes long so thats gotta help. Well see...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts