Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I have "inherited" my grandmother's wear-ever aluminum cookware. Is there any chance I can keep and use this?!? It reminds me of her kitchen where I spent sooo many hours....

· Registered
2,410 Posts
Well, I found this:

Dr. Janet Greger, a professor of nutritional science at the University of Wisconsin, reported in the Journal of Food Protection in 1985 that cooking with aluminum caused insignificant increases in the aluminum level of the food, as against the many other exposures to aluminum most people experience every day.

In one of the most extreme examples, Dr. Greger found that a batch of applesauce naturally containing .013 milligrams of aluminum would accumulate an additional .7 milligrams of aluminum per 3 1/2 ounces after being cooked for 30 minutes in an aluminum pan. "But people are getting 1 to 10 milligrams per day from natural sources, so the .7 milligrams is really trivial," she said.

Aluminum is in fruits and vegetables because aluminum is in soil. It is the third most common element on the surface of the earth, Dr. Perl pointed out. "We live in a sea of aluminum," he said. "You can go into Central Park and dig up a shovel of dirt and it's got a lot of aluminum in it."

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/12/12/ga...pagewanted=all

So I think that if the cookware is in good shape and has good memories, then the food you cook with it will be even tastier because of all of the love that has already been created using it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.